Tarm Solo 40 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawandorder

Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2008
upstate new york
well got the price quote to include installation and came in at 15k. Includes underground piping from outside boiler room etc.. I have a question on storage. THe price quote has two types of options for storage. First is the Tarm H22 storage tank which I am told is 400 gals of storage. The second type of storage is using two Buderus Solar Tanks which total around 300 gals of storage and will allow us the option of changing DHW to solar in the future. I still have 500 gals of fuel oil in the tanks and our current DHW is covered using our oil burner We figure on using up the current oil for DHW when the Tarm isnt running during the warmer months.. In speaking with the plumber who has installed the Tarm system and others in the past and is also a solar installer, he had a concern over the tarm tanks and setup for storage being that it is unpressurized(if i remember correctly) and that the liner that is used will need to be replaced on average every 10 years. I have learned a lot from everyone here and wanted everyone's opinions. I only have one shot at this and I want to make it a good one. THanks for the help again. Sorry if these are simple questions but I am pretty overwhelmed by all of this.

You can install the tarm without storage, but have it plumbed so it can be easily added later. That would give you more time to explore all the storage options. Tarm suggested 800 gallons of storage for my Tarm 40, so 300-400 gallons sounds a little small. I am sure it would work, but twice that would hold the heat longer. I am building my own storage, as many here have done or are planning on, and I am saving a lot of money on it. If you go with the tarm tank, find out how much a replacement liner would cost and ask yourself if it is a big deal to replace it in ten years.

If you're contemplating solar at some future date, that can still work with a homemade tank. It all depends on your inclination to do the tinkering. I'll echo the idea that storage is not necessary. If you can get a better system with less stress by adding storage at a later date, don't be afraid to take that route. It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing one shot deal.

I'm not familiar with the Tarm H22 storage tank. I thought Tarm acts as middle-men for STSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.