Tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Has anyone ever found out where the Tarm boilers are being made now-a-days. I was happy to know mine was made in Denmark. Love that Scandinavian steel.

They're now made in remote Liaoning Province, China out of a special mix of sintered Datsun rust and coal tar binding agent.

[Edit:]

Just having some fun with how some off-shore manufacturing ventures have gone badly.

Sorry for any disrespect to Tarm, they're a class act and I'm sure they will preserve their well-earned reputation for quality no matter where they choose to build their product.

--ewd

chuck172 said:
Has anyone ever found out where the Tarm boilers are being made now-a-days. I was happy to know mine was made in Denmark. Love that Scandinavian steel.
Me too, The blacksmiths fight to the death over the Swedish Kohlswa anvils on Ebay. I really wonder what the spec on the boiler plate is for Tarm, Randy

Reactions: WoodWacker
ewdudley said:
They're now made in remote Liaoning Province, China out of a special mix of sintered Datsun rust and coal tar binding agent.

Well done!

K

The rumor is that all other gasser mfr's rapidly are following suit because of the limitless size of the Chinese market, combined with the realization by the Chinese that the high efficiency of gassers will reduce their use of coal and the low emissions of gassers will reduce their health care costs, both of which will accelerate China's rise to world economic domination.

The star in this effort, however, is a Chinese manufacturer, who markets a gasser under the trade moniker "OWB," meaning Original Wood Boiler. The OWB outsells all others by huge numbers because of the importance of ancestry in the Chinese culture.

In a joint statement issued by presidential hopefuls in the primary race in the US, the lead candidate said, "Let the Chinese have all those gassers. We already have enough gas in Congress to power the US for 100 years."

ewdudley said:

:lol:

I still don't know where they're made, Chris's silence on this may be worth a thousand words. I hope not!

I just looked at my Solo Innova.

It says "Made by Baxi A/S: Tarm HS Denmark"

I suppose it doesn't say made in Denmark but that's all I could find. Interestingly enough my boiler was tested in 2008. Looks like it was aged properly before it was delivered. :)

K

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/89841/. This was all I could find out. I'm guessing as Hansson says they (at least the Solo Innovas) are made in Turkey. I saw a picture of the brand new Baxi factory there even. Kopeck, I looked after I read your post. My Solo Innova was bought in 2010 and tested in 2008 too. Up side of this is that ours were probably manufactured in Denmark before the move.

Mike

I found this 2010 dated site, http://www.bpindex.co.uk/manf.html?id=588, that said "BDR Thermea (formerly known as Baxi Group due to the successful merger with De Dietrich Remeha) is one of Europe’s largest manufacturers and distributors of water and space heating products for residential and commercial applications.". I next found a link from there to a listing of their Danish manufacturing sites that said that the Solo Innovas are being manufactured in Denmark. The fact the site was written in Danish made it difficult to understand. The 2010 link to their Baymak affiliate in Turkey did not show the Solo Innova in their 2010 product line.

However, I did find a statement in Baymak's objectives for 2011 that said, as part of BDR Thermea they were "relocating in Turkey certain European sites." They did not specify which. I imagine cheap labor is a big a draw over there as well as here.

Mike
(Wood Gasification Detective)

When did the Innova come out/when was it first imported? I wonder if the "Tested in 2008" means that's when it was tested to get it's ratings?

Everything that came with mine that wasn't printed in English was printed in Danish. I'm going to guess they're built in Denmark, or at least they go out of their way to make it look like they do.

K

If anybody can read this. Its in Danish. I think it might say something about what was happening to the Tarm company in 2011, from a 'History (of H.S. Tarm)", put out by Baxi, http://www.baxi.dk/om-baxi/historie.html:

I 2009 fusionerede BAXI Group med DeDietrich Remeha. Den nye koncern fik navnet BDR Thermea, der med en stærk tilstedeværelse i mange europæiske lande, gjorde BDR Thermea til en markedsleder både internationalt og lokalt i de fleste markeder.

I september 2010 blev BAXI A/S solgt til Hans Martin Sørensen og kom således igen på danske hænder. Pr. 1. april 2011 ændrede virksomheden navnet til HS Tarm A/S.

Here are the last few paragraphs. There is not much in the first several that is relevant.

"In connection with a generational change, Poul Martin Sørensen in 1993 was to sell the family's life's work to the English BAXI Group. It was hardly an easy decision, but he believed it was the only way to keep the company and the approximately 200 jobs intact. In 1999 the company changed the name to HS-TARM BAXI.

In 2009, BAXI Group with the DeDietrich Remeha. The new Group took the name BDR Thermea, with a strong presence in many European countries, BDR Thermea became a market leader, internationally and local markets.

In September 2010 BAXI sold the company to Hans Martin Sørensen and again came in Danish hands. In April 2011 the company changed its name to HS Tarm."

Check this out:

http://www.baxi.dk/nyheder-nyhedsbrev/ejerskifte-hos-baxi-as.html

I used a Danish to English translator and it said basically the same thing North said.

I'm under the impression that the Tarm unit have been made in the same place all along with the mention of saving jobs etc. Then again it wouldn't have been the first time a company said it would maintain jobs after a buy out and then turn on a dime....

K

Como said:
Odd

http://www.baxi.co.uk/products/baxi-solo-innova.htm

I assumed it was still part of Baxi, I went to a show a couple of years ago and it was on the Baxi stand.

It sounds like it was just purchased back a sort time ago.

Baxi still lists the Innova as one of it's products but I bet that they just are just sourcing them from HS Tarm.

All of this is more or less speculation based on some sites I read that are in a language that I can't read so your mileage may vary. :p

K

Not that I really care, just wanting a final answer as to where the boilers are currently made -- I just emailed tarm biomass that very question.

Will let you know what the official reply is...

Boy Mike,

Raining on our detective parade. :) I was hoping to use DNA evidence from my boiler to figure out what nationality of the person who strapped it to the pallet...

I'm in Mid-Coast Maine as well (Liberty), seems like we've got quite a few folks from the area on Hearth.

K

mikefrommaine said:
Not that I really care, just wanting a final answer as to where the boilers are currently made -- I just emailed tarm biomass that very question.

Will let you know what the official reply is...

Still waiting for a reply...

Came this across this old video of HS Tarm boilers being manufactured ar their factory: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3141210859766193269#.
and another older news article from August, 2007 below:

Baymak moves Baxi Group factories to Turkey

The heating, cooling, water technologies and solar systems company Baymak recently moved the Baxi Group facilities from Denmark to Turkey. Founded in 1967, Baymak joined forces with the BAXI Group in April 2002.

Adding to its facilities in France, Baymak is now moving the 15,000 square meter factory from Denmark to Turkey. Producer of steel heaters, the third largest in the European heating sector, the Baxi Group owns 50 percent of Baymak. Baymak exports Baxi's steel heaters, Mutine and Logobloc.

In 2008, the company will be the biggest boiler producer in Europe as the Baxi Groups is gearing up to be the only production center for heating, boilers, cooling, water technologies and solar systems in the second half of 2008 in its fully integrated 30,000 square meter factory.

Baymak CEO Dr. Murat Akdoğan said: “Baymak runs eight big projects concurrently. After completing the transfer of some facilities in various European countries to Turkey, Baymak will multiply its turnover and export as it claims its place among the leading companies in the European heating sector.”

After giving start to investments, the company envisages reaching $150 million in exports and increasing its number of personnel to 2,000 by 2010.

Another more recent headline:

BDR Thermea acquires majority interest in Baymak 01 June 2011

BDR Thermea Group is pleased to announce that its daughter company Baxi Holding will acquire the majority interest in Baymak Makina Sanayi ve Ticaret Ltd. Åžti. Since 2002 Baymak operated as a Joint Venture between Baxi Holding and Dr. Murat Akdogan.

Baymak has been established in 1967 and is today one of Turkey’s largest manufacturers of equipment for heating and domestic hot water, with a new 30.000 m² factory in Istanbul. With 600 employees and a turnover of more than 100 million Euros it is one of the main players in the Turkish market.

Rob van Banning, Chief Executive Officer of the BDR Thermea Group, said: “This operation will allow us to strengthen our position on the Turkish market, which due to its geographical position is strategic to the Group. Baymak offers our Group a well developed distributor and service network in Turkey, as well as a state of the art production facility.â€

Dr. Murat Akdogan, Chairman of Baymak, said:†"This is an important milestone for Baymak becoming integral part of one of the biggest Groups in the heating industry. It’s also recognition of the solid performance of the Company over the last decade and ensures the continuity for the future." The transaction has already been approved by the Turkish competition authorities.

And this:

BAYMAK is a part of BDR Thermea, a world leading manufacturer and distributor of innovative heating and hot water systems and services, operating in a market worth over €16 billion ofannual sales. BDR Thermea employ more than 6.400 people across Europe with a turnover of€1.8 billion. The group has a top market position in six key countries: UK, France, Germany,Spain, the Netherlands and Italy and strong positions in the rapidly growing markets of Eastern Europe, Turkey, Russia, North America and China. In total BDR Thermea operatesin more than 70 countries worldwide. BDR Thermea owns and sells some of the leading brands in the European market for heating products. These include De Dietrich, Baxi, Remeha, Heatrae Sadia, Brötje, Potterton, Chappee, BaxiRoca and Baymak.

I also found out BDT Thermea is a subsidiary of Remeha Group BV.

The true manufacturer of Tarm woodboilers is obviously a closely kept secret, guarded by a group of international conglomerate conspirators. Conspirators identified so far are: The two Danish Sorensen brothers. The one who sold their grandpa's HS Tarm company, and the other who maybe bought it back (he's also a BAXI Company executive by the way), Dr Murat Akdogan of Baymak, (who may be a co-owner of the N.J. Nets along with that Russian guy), Tarm Biomass, whose silence on this matter reveals all, and E.W. Dudley who probably knows a lot more about "sintered Datsun Parts and coal tar" in the Liaoning province of China, than he's willing to reveal. You,ve got to admit, nobody can find any products manufactured outside of China anymore, which probably includes Danish boilers. And what do any of us know about this Dudley character?

Lovingly yours,

Mike
(Wood Gasification Detective)

dogwood said:
... and E.W. Dudley who probably knows a lot more about "sintered Datsun Parts and coal tar" in the Liaoning province of China, than he's willing to reveal. You,ve got to admit, nobody can find any products manufactured outside of China anymore, which probably includes Danish boilers. And what do any of us know about this Dudley character?

Well he's just that, some character; although that's his real name and he really lives in Cayuga County NY, you can google the rest. (Not to be confused with the longboard surfer from the UK!)

I don't know anything about where Tarms are made beyond what I've read here, so the China thing is just a wisecrack, which I've already acknowledged.

However I will say that to save wear and tear on the Berreta I was foolish enough to buy a Khan over-under made in Turkey, that was and is junk, and they never made it right.

And I do know of a Danish company Maersk that experienced some unhappiness with cast iron compressor housings made in China, which sweated out all their oil and refrigerant through porosities, so there's a grain of truth to the compressed rust theory. And I've worked with DISAMATIC foundry equipment made in Denmark that was some of highest quality stuff I've ever seen.

So anecdotally FWIW, in my experience; Denmark good, China and Turkey bad.

And Slovakian boilers good!

--ewd

I figured you were goofing around Eliot, I'm just having a little fun here too. It just piqued my curiosity when I googled this subject of where my boiler was made, that the ownership of Tarm was so convoluted and international in scope. Who knew HS Tarm was owned by Baxi, who was owned by BDR Thermea, who was owned by an even bigger concern, Remeha Group BV. (http://www.bdrthermea.com/page/news/bdr-thermea-now-100-owned-by-rem.htm). I guess this is how big business works.

I did email Baxi last night, and the sales manager who replied said Baxi still sells the Solo Innova. It did say under his signature block, HS Tarm A/V. I replied to him a few minutes ago and asked if the boiler is still manufactured in Denmark?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.