Tarp clips or grommets for rubber EDPM tarps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I have numerous rubber tarps and they do a better job laying flat on my stacks than traditional plastic tarps. But heavy winds can still blow them off and this has happened several times the past couple weeks. I'm thinking of using tarp clips or possibly a grommet kit, both available pretty cheap from Harbor Freight. Anybody have experience using either with their EDPM tarps?

No, but mess with a lot of EPDM and don't see why it wouldn't work.

Do you have time to do an experiment and try both and see which one lasts better. I could see the cheaper plastic in the clips deteriorating in the sun and cold quickly. I would interested in what you find out

A quick and dirty fix if the wood is seasoning and the rubber remains in place for an extended time would be just nailing it on into the wood pulled down over the edges. Or buying some aluminum termination strips for the EPDM (mechanical fastening system) and screwing it on in the same manner. The termination bar has holes and slots every so many inches. 6" I believe. When I do EPDM roofs I glue down so never really mess with them.

They come in 10' or 12' lengths and could be cut into 2' lengths and use one at each end and middle on both sides so one 12' bar would do a face cord. Can't recall how much they are. The grommets are likely cheaper but thought I'd throw another option out.

I put a few splits on top of mine to hold them down. I think they actually season faster up there baking on the hot black rubber.

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
I've done that too, also had winds that still blew the tarp askew. I also want to use these tarps and clips to help cover things like a tractor.

Some well placed large splits on top if the rubber always kept it in place for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.