taylor owb condensation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keller-s10

Dec 30, 2009
STL MO
just got my taylor stove hooked up 2 days ago. its dripping watter out of the flue pipe. so bad that i had to hook a hose to it to keep my concrete from icing over.
2 days of burning and i have 2.5 gals of nasty watter in a bucket.

is this normal? could i have a leek?

It's not unheard of for owb's, especially if it's not burning hot enough. Well, most here would say they never burn hot enough. But if you're burning wet wood, loading it too full, and choking the fire down then you'll get lots of condensation.

Return water protection may be an issue for you. Check into that also.

benjamin said:
It's not unheard of for owb's, especially if it's not burning hot enough. Well, most here would say they never burn hot enough. But if you're burning wet wood, loading it too full, and choking the fire down then you'll get lots of condensation.

Return water protection may be an issue for you. Check into that also.

wood not wet... but i am loading it to the gills..

Return water protection?????????? what??

Basically return water protection is some means, such as a thermostatic valve, to keep your return tempurature high enough to prevent condensation inside the boiler, for most boilers around 140*f works. Owb's may need something different.

2.5 gallons is not that much water, a small fraction of the water in the wood even if it's as dry as 10% moisture content, which it's not. The easiest way to tell if it's leaking is to watch the water level or pressure.

Most owb's are inherenty incapable of complete combustion, or any sort of controlled combustion because of the chilling effect of firebox being used as the heat exchange surface. Loading it to the gills makes it even harder to achieve good combustion, especially if it's not running full blast.

keller-s10 said:
just got my taylor stove hooked up 2 days ago. its dripping watter out of the flue pipe. so bad that i had to hook a hose to it to keep my concrete from icing over.
2 days of burning and i have 2.5 gals of nasty watter in a bucket.

is this normal? could i have a leek?

Just fired mine up on the 26th of Dec water ran out the back door after an hour but stopped once up to temp.

How did you hook a hose up to the flue?

Are you talking about the vent pipe on the back?

gg

i started putting just enuff wood in it and i have eleminated the condensation. but with a pregnet wife when i go back to work im gona have to load it up again.

the older taylor stoves the flue come out above the door then 90s up at the 90 their was a spout for the hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.