tekmar 157 differential control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
I'm thinking of upgrading my tekmar 156 to the 157 model. I like the variable speed to the storage tank. Is anyone using this control?

I have been using the 157 for a couple of years. I was looking for the "silver bullet",you know the one that will let me burn one time a day and get 2 days worth heat but alas, no such luck yet. The control does a great job of pump speed control but does have a nasty habit of shutting off when return and supply temps are near the top of the curve. I had a second pump hooked to a aquastat that takes over when the tekmar controlled pump shuts off. As far as the variable speed goes seems to work great keeping output at desired delta T.
Steve

stihlwoody, after having experience with the 157, do you feel that charging your storage with the variable speed makes a big difference? I don't understand why your unit shuts off, would you go into more detail?
My tekmar 156 doesn't vary pump speed, just shuts the pump on or off. It did a great job, but the relay is sticking and if Tekmar honors their warranty I was thinking the extra $60.00 put towards the 157 might be worth it.

The 157 shuts down if the delta T differential is one degree or less, this can be a issue on start up or when tank is near 180 and boiler temp is on the way down. I have a GW100 that holds alot of residual heat and if the pump stops, the heat does rise dramatically. The unit has a 5 minute delay programed in that does not let the pump start even if the delta T rises. I have not ran the numbers to figure if full output with a lower delta T or or lower output with a higher delta T puts more btu's into the tank but I tend to believe I am better off with hotter output into the top of the tank is better.I have my second pump set up to run as a overheat pump that is triggered by a aqua-stat and ran off a battery bank and inverter, this also powers on in case of a power outage. Has been working real good for a couple of years.
Steve

If the 157 doesn't work well with gasiiers, maybe I'll stick with the 156. It doesn't throttle the pump, but shuts and restarts it according to the delta t perfectly (as long as the relay doesn't stick!)

Status
Not open for further replies.