Temp difference from stove top to pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeP

Mar 15, 2006
Northern NY
Just curious what difference in temperature other people have on their stoves from the stove top to the pipe? Reason I ask, my old stove, different house and setup, a Vermont Castings Madison (also a burn tube stove) would usually cruise in the 550 range on the top and be at 400-450 16" up the pipe. My NC-30 is currently sitting at 625 stove top, but the pipe is barely over 300. The hottest I have ever seen the pipe was just over 400 and that was at a 750 or so stove temp.

that's pretty much exactly what my 30 does.

pen

Mine too. The pipe is about half the temp of the stove, which I consider a good thing.

SOOOO ................... is this the norm ? The pipe should be half the temp of the stove ?

My half round magnet Rutland reads 300 most of the time . Low range of the burn range .

To keep it higher requires a lot more air .

MikeP said:
Just curious what difference in temperature other people have on their stoves from the stove top to the pipe? Reason I ask, my old stove, different house and setup, a Vermont Castings Madison (also a burn tube stove) would usually cruise in the 550 range on the top and be at 400-450 16" up the pipe. My NC-30 is currently sitting at 625 stove top, but the pipe is barely over 300. The hottest I have ever seen the pipe was just over 400 and that was at a 750 or so stove temp.

When it was cold out I was running the stove top at 650 and the pipe temp just below 500. Then after 10 minutes I would adjust the air and bring the pipe temp between 450-475. I had a good bed of coals so before I would reload we would let the stove top temp get below 500.

zap

I have been home all day .... a little while back I filled it up with 2yo oak and a couple pieces of maple .

great fire , nice and warm out front ... dogs lounging one foot from the thing ..... Th pipe got up to just about 350 ! I cut the air back and its down to 250 with a glowing box slow rolling fire , bright , what looks like a perfect fire !

This stove is happy running in the low pipe temp range and i dont get it . 1000sf of living space is quite comfortable in the upper 70's .

I worry about mucking up the pipe and having a chimney fire !

Although I answered a post like this just a bit ago, I will state that the temperature difference varies....a lot. For instance, this morning when I got up I loaded the stove and the flue temperature was around 500 degrees when I engaged the cat. The stove top was around 300. Shortly after engaging the cat the temperatures did a flip flop. Now the two temperatures are 400 stove top and 250 flue. (btw, I only put in 3 very small splits this morning so that fire won't last long.)

Status
Not open for further replies.