temp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m12

Nov 12, 2013
adirondacks
I have an avalon 945. Single wall pipe.what temperatures should I be burning at. Where do you check the temperatures? At the stove top or at the pipe?how hot is too hot.

Many of us including myself like to monitor both the stove top and the flue temps. I would suggest you get a Condar thermometer for each. The stove top unit (Inferno) can be put on the top about in the center. The flue thermometer (Chimgard) is magnetic also and will stick to the pipe about 18" high. The flue one will read the surface temp of the flue, and as a rough rule of thumb, the internal temp will be about double that.

Your stove manual tells you that an overfire temp is when something starts to glow red in the dark, which is around 850. So it can be operated at pretty high temps. I like to keep my temps below 650 on cruise. It can get to 700 sometimes. Others like it a little hotter, but I'd keep it in that range.

You may even want to get an infrared gun-type thermometer and find the hottest spot on the stove top for the surface thermometer. They're a very handy thing to have for all kinds of uses as well and very accurate (on non shiny surfaces).

Last edited:
Thanks that helps a lot. I picked up a cheapo rutland thermometer and was not happy with it. Also got one of those infrared thermometers.i see lots of people recomend them.only had it at 650 once it was really cooking. 450 / 500 seems to work better. Thats at the stove top.

Thanks that helps a lot. I picked up a cheapo rutland thermometer and was not happy with it. Also got one of those infrared thermometers.i see lots of people recomend them.only had it at 650 once it was really cooking. 450 / 500 seems to work better. Thats at the stove top.
Yeah, I very often run at only about 450 - 500 when that's all I need. Just run it where you need to. But it's nice to know that you don't have to panic if it gets up there sometimes.

A lot of people have had bad experience with the Rutland thermometers. The Condars are the favorite ones here and I have two myself and are plenty accurate for stoves, although the flue one is just measuring the surface temp of the pipe, not the internal. And be aware that you need to get the magnetic version for the single wall pipe. The probe version is not accurate for single wall use.

PS I use the flue thermometer as kind of an efficiency meter and try to keep the flue temps down but still get the stove top temp I need. We call it the Goldilocks zone (coined by firefighterjake).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.