Temp Spike Problem Solved - Thermometer Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
I recently started a thread inquiring about best stove thermometer location. I had a hunch that thermometer location is playing a factor in my perceived "temperature spikes" and worries about overfiring.

Fellow hearth forum members gave a variety of answers but the consensus was that the best thermometer location is at the hottest surface of the stove, the middle/center of the stove top.

Today, I called Lopi (since I have a Lopi Endeavor) and discussed the thermometer location question with one of their technical reps, Glen. Glen told me that the best thermometer location is NOT in the center of the stove top or cook top. He reported that using the center location will give you false alarms since it is not a good representation of the overall stove temperature. Instead, Glen informed that the best thermometer location is actually on the right or left side of the cook top or at the front of the cook top, above the door.

To further clarify, Glen said that 800F in the center of the cook top is NOT overfiring. However, if you are reading 800F with your thermometer on the far right, left or front (above the door) of the stove top, you ARE overfiring the stove.

All in all, this helps bring some peace of mind since my stove can quickly get to 750F in the middle of the stove top. I can't say this is true for all stove manufacturers since I haven't checked but it is helpful info for those who have Lopi/Avalon stoves.

That is consistent with the location recommended by Jotul. Wouldn't it be great if this was included in Lopi documentation?

Reactions: isipwater
Yes, I don't understand why Lopi does not make this more clear in their manual, as regulating temperatures is one of the most important aspects of using wood stoves. However, to Lopi's credit they do mention in their manual (briefly) to put the thermometer above the stove door at the front of the cook top. I just wish they would make this more explicit and also elaborate more about the importance of proper thermometer placement/location!!!

I recently started a thread inquiring about best stove thermometer location. I had a hunch that thermometer location is playing a factor in my perceived "temperature spikes" and worries about overfiring.

Fellow hearth forum members gave a variety of answers but the consensus was that the best thermometer location is at the hottest surface of the stove, the middle/center of the stove top.

Today, I called Lopi (since I have a Lopi Endeavor) and discussed the thermometer location question with one of their technical reps, Glen. Glen told me that the best thermometer location is NOT in the center of the stove top or cook top. He reported that using the center location will give you false alarms since it is not a good representation of the overall stove temperature. Instead, Glen informed that the best thermometer location is actually on the right or left side of the cook top or at the front of the cook top, above the door.

To further clarify, Glen said that 800F in the center of the cook top is NOT overfiring. However, if you are reading 800F with your thermometer on the far right, left or front (above the door) of the stove top, you ARE overfiring the stove.

All in all, this helps bring some peace of mind since my stove can quickly get to 750F in the middle of the stove top. I can't say this is true for all stove manufacturers since I haven't checked but it is helpful info for those who have Lopi/Avalon stoves.

Hugely helpful! Thank you for making that call to Glen and for sharing this!

I also locate my thermo at the top left corner of my cooktop. It seems to give me a good overall average temp.

I've been commenting on this exact point in a couple of recent posts that involved stove temperatures. Unless we take readings for the proper location on our stove it can be very misleading since the temperature can vary by over 200 F depending on where you take your reading. It would be a good idea if posters routinely indicated where they took their temperature reading from when they post a temperature so we all have a more accurate idea of what temperature they are actually burning at.

Reactions: Christopix
Status
Not open for further replies.