Temperature monitoring from a distance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
WI
My boiler is in a steel sided building that is about 115' from my garage. How can I set something up to monitor temps in the house?

When I put in the underground pipe I put in two empty 1 1/2" electrical conduits from my boiler shed to my attached garage.

I have CAT6 network in the house with a patch panel in the basement.

I would like to be able to eventually monitor boiler temps, supply/return and Tank temps from the house and maybe even remotely from computer or smart phone. Is that possible?

gg

I just went for quick and easy, I got a remote barbecue themometer, I have the probe taped to my return line to the boiler and the temp remote in my living room. that way I can see the water temp and even watch the temp swings as my house cycles.

rowerwet said:
I just went for quick and easy, I got a remote barbecue themometer, I have the probe taped to my return line to the boiler and the temp remote in my living room. that way I can see the water temp and even watch the temp swings as my house cycles.

What kind of distance are we talking?

gg

goosegunner said:
rowerwet said:

What kind of distance are we talking?

gg
two floors vertically, the range listed on the package worked from my OPB (35') until the batteries got cold then it lost contact, inside the basement it works fine.

look up azel. they make a 2 temp system run it on thermo wire. cost about sixty dollars.

Houseneeds.com has the azel ds60 dual temp gauge less than $50, I just ordered 2, can wire up to 400' away w/18 or 20 gauge

leatherguy said:
Houseneeds.com has the azel ds60 dual temp gauge less than $50, I just ordered 2, can wire up to 400' away w/18 or 20 gauge

Can more than one display read the same sensors?

I would like to maybe put a display in the boiler shed and one in the house to show same temp locations.

gg

Good question gg give them a call and let us know what you find out. I have my old one from my green wood. i am going to use in this new set up.

colcarlmiss said:
Excellent products, possible to monitor and control over both local network and internet.
Web browser interface so any mobile device can be used as well as PC's.
http://www.controlbyweb.com/products.html

Those look very interesting. Thanks for the info.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.