Tempered glass behind Tulikivi masonry stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

icer

Oct 14, 2013
Northern Vermont
I'm in contract to purchase a house with an interesting setup. It has a Tulikivi masonry heater on the ground floor, and a great open staircase that funnels the heat to all three floors of the house. I'm very excited to use it.

However, the staircase leading to the basement is within the required 20" clearance to combustibles from the rear of the stove. The builder's solution is to use metal and Bluestone treads, which I'm on board with. We run into an issue with the handrail, however, as it has to be non-combustible (approx 10 inches from the rear of the stove). The builder floated the idea of using an aluminum exterior type handrail. My thought was that would look a bit out of place, and also had concerns about heat transfer - could the railing heat up and cause burns.

One potential solution is to use tempered glass to satisfy the handrail code. Supposedly tempered glass is good to around 400-450 degrees F. Fire rated glass (the next step up) is out of the budget.

My concern is the repeated heating and cooling effect on the glass's structural integrity. I've read that surface temperatures of a Tulikivi are low, maxing at about 176 F. One glass company says it should be fine with tempered, another says don't do it.

Long story short - anyone have any knowledge oaf tempered glass in an application similar to this?

I appreciate any responses.

I saw this on the internet,

The proper clearance to combustibles behind a masonry heater placed in front of a wall made of combustible material is 4” (refer to attached excerpt from ASTM standard for site-built heaters).

I built a masonry heater and the inspector said to leave 3". Makes sense. The outer surface doesn't get that hot. And there is mucho mass between the fire/hot gasses and the outside. On my heater behind the firebox is 1) 4" of firebrick, 2) 1/4" gap, and 3) 6" concrete/granite. So over 10". That is why the gap can be smaller than a wood stove.

Thanks for the response. I've seen in a few places:

Tulikivi UL Approved Heatshield Requirements:

No combustibles within 20 inches of the back of the Tulikivi.
No combustibles within 14 inches of the sides of the Tulikivi.
No combustibles within 10 inches of the top of the Tulikivi.

Tulikivi's UL approved heat shields reduces clearance to 3 inches from combustibles

I wonder about the discrepancy, but i'm inclined to go with Tulikivi's numbers. Also, I'm looking into the heatshield, but it'll detract from the overall look quite a bit, as it's centrally located in the bottom floor.

I have only seen one Tulikivi in operation. They are not all the same in design, but that one had benches where you could lean right up against the fireplace. It never got scalding hot. In practice, I think you will find that the warmth radiating from the masonry will be quite soft. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you could hold your hand on the back of the fireplace. Contact Tulikivi and get the actual specs for this specific installation. There are many variants on Tulikivi designs including several custom designs.

The aluminum handrail solution proposed by the contractor sounds like a good compromise. It is not likely to get too hot. Again, a call into Tulikivi could be very helpful.

Tulikivi North America
Customer Service
9-4 EST Monday to Friday
1 800 843 3473
[email protected]