Temporary Celing Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Como

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2008
Colorado
www.comodepot.net
We complete on a historic property next week.

They are burning through $1000 of propane a month, the Building is brick, single, cavity then twin brick construction. We have about 3000sq ft of ceiling to insulate. Temperaturs can get down to -20F and the area is know for high winds.

It is going to require a fair amount of work to the Building, but that is going to take at least a year, maybe two. In the meantime I need to do something about the ceilings.

I was thinking that if I use Blown Fibre I could suck it back out when I need access to that area, and blow it back in later.

Is there a better soluton?

Never really heard of anyone doing that with blown in, but I don't see any real reason you couldn't, though it will probably be messy as all get out. I can't really think of a better choice either. I would probably go with blown cellulose as opposed to blown fiberglass just because it probably would have less noxious dust and itchy factor when picking it up, but either would probably work as long as you were wearing the right gear.

Gooserider

Whats the problem with stuffing bats up there? Get the fully bagged stuff in the pink baggie and it will be a delight to handle both in and out. It probably won't suit your needs everywhere the best but overall it shoud be good and a WHOLE lot less of a mess when the time comes to handle it again. I sure wouldn't want all that fiberglass all over around me, it could scratch you silly. There are a few decent DIY insulation related sites out there that go into this stuff in detail but I can't offhand recite them. If you look around there is a fair bit of insulation info out there posted by Pros. One thing to consider is how cellulose can be better than fiberglass when wind is concerned. I was amazed at the findings ( strictly industry professional stuff) that they were posting at the one web site I was lurking on. Fiberglass insulation really goes downhill efficiency wise when the wind blows. They sure don't tell you that in the ads. Too bad I cant recall the site but I found it at work where saving things is usually a pain.

I used batts. I threw up 4 or 5 bags of r30 batts during my temp construction.

You may have to worry about your moisture barrier. Modern construction places a great deal of responsibility on the moisture barrier. If you knock it out of commission during the winter you could do a great deal of water damage to the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.