Tennessee Stove Works cook stove-information needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldgrezmonke

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Jackson TN
I've wanted a wood cook stove for some time . I came across this for $450 . Can anyone tell
me anything , clearances , etc. ? It's a Tennessee Stove Works Southland ser. # 16-58-1 . The seller thinks it was made in 1958 . Thanks for any help .

Attachments

• Tennessee Stove Works cook stove-information needed
    stove 2.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,430
    stove 3 (1).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,433
    3m23oa3p7ZZZZZZZZZ926b62ed83a2dc215f0.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,347
    3ne3k03p0ZZZZZZZZZ926e85025bd93181b22.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,973
Well sense no one answered you , I will try to. I do have a wood cook stove although a different make than the one you are looking at. These things were made back when houses had large kitchens and it was the main room used. These stoves require a lot of clearance from combustibles, about 3 feet from the back and the firebox side would be a good start. You can find quite a few of these old stoves on ebay, the problem is finding one that isn't burnt or rusted out past being usable. Make sure you inspect the stove well. They are also very heavy with some weighing in at the 700 pound range, so a good solid floor is a must. Even though the fire box is small they are made to cook and they throw off a lot of heat, you just have to keep feeding them wood. From the picture you posted I would say the year is closer to 1938 than 1958. They do a great job of what they were made to do just make sure you have a safe install and you can never leave a cook stove unattended when burning. When I was very young we used to take a bath in a number 2 wash tub behind the stove if that gives you an idea of the clearance required. Just be safe.

pfitter said:
Well sense no one answered you , I will try to. I do have a wood cook stove although a different make than the one you are looking at. These stoves require a lot of clearance from combustibles, about 3 feet from the back and the firebox side would be a good start. Make sure you inspect the stove well. Even though the fire box is small they are made to cook and they throw off a lot of heat, you just have to keep feeding them wood. From the picture you posted I would say the year is closer to 1938 than 1958. They do a great job of what they were made to do just make sure you have a safe install and you can never leave a cook stove unattended when burning. Just be safe.

When it comes to safety , I have long been more cautious than most . Information I have found regarding "uncertified" stoves-those with no manufacturer's recommendations-show large clearances [48" sides/rear/front] from combustibles but allow smaller clearances [16" sides/rear] with heat shields . The amount of heat given off by wood cook stoves may be the source of the saying-"If you can't take the heat , stay out of the kitchen" . I also think it is older than 1958 . I would almost bet the serial# could be interpreted [19]16 - 58[days] - 1[shift] . Looks like I'm winging it if I decide to buy this stove . Thanks for the response .

I'm not sure either but I am jealous. I want a wood cook stove even though I have no real place to put it other than a cabin that is really to small to accommodate one. Congrats on the find. Where in Tenn. is it?
Joe

polaris said:
I'm not sure either but I am jealous. Congrats on the find. Where in Tenn. is it? Joe

It is listed on the Jackson TN Craigslist . The seller has it at his house just a bit south of Henderson . I finally took a look at it today and it is in fair shape needing not much more than a little tinkering to put it to use .

I'd buy it!
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.