Termination Heights of Multiple Flues in a Chase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm getting a new flue installed for a wood boiler in the basement into a chase that already has flues for an oil burner and a first floor insert. When the oil flue is totally cold the draft tends to reverse and I believe some smoke comes down to smell up the basement a bit. The insert flue terminates below and upwind of the oil's, and the other cold day I could see a drifting vapor plume and how it could happen. So, I'm getting the chimney guy to try and do something about it, which I think could include the three flues terminating increasingly higher in the prevailing upwind direction. Am I on the right track. (PS: I'm still tickled that he can fit another flue in there.) I'm including a pic of what it looks like now. Wind flow is approximately from left to right. Waddya think?

house, southeast.jpg

Generally flue reversing effect is from air leaking from your building envelope in the upper floor. This makes the house a better chimney than the chimney and creates a negative pressure in the basement and pulls down a cold flue.

Try opening a window near the oil boiler a few inches while you have a wood fire going and light a candle in front of the barometric damper of the oil. See if the flame is pulled in the direction of the chimney or the room. Close the window wait a few minutes and repeat.

You may need some make-up air in the basement and some air sealing in the attic/top floor.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.