Termovar gasket leaks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony H

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2007
N Illinois
After taking apart the termovar to add a bypass the stupid thing wants to drip and with no spare gaskets had to use RTV sealant to get it back together, what a pain in the a$$. I assume this has happened to others does anyone know if the Danfoss or some other brand is a direct replacement ? I could get one now and use it if I have to take it apart again or if it starts to leak on me.

Don't know if it's in the sticky but would be nice to let it be know a bypass is needed to circulate cold water thru the system around the Termovar to prevent freezing when the boiler is outdoors WITHOUT having to use glycol in the system.

I got a set from BIOHEAT USA, Tarm dealer. Regular mail, had them in 2 days, NH to MA. They shipped that day and were great to deal with on phone. I think I read on this site that you should put a bit of petroleum jelly on gaskets before installing ? Install manual mentions " do not over tighten ". I think I might use some of the red, sticky, spray gasket sealer (Locktite) my self.... Rob

Easy to make your own from paper/fiber auto gasket material. The outside diameter needs to be pretty exact, the inside diameter is not so critical. Yes, coat the gasket with petroleum jelly (Vaseline), both sides, so that as you tighten the nut and valve seat are lubricated and the gasket doesn't bind and tear.

Gaskets from Bioheat were different. They were thicker and looked like paper and graphite ? Because of the leaking around the termovar I used the Vaseline trick on the gaskets and while I had it apart I cleaned up the locking rings and lubricated with never-seize and reassembled. No leaks and went together nice and easy. Last thing to do before I lit a fire. Oil burner is off for the season first fire today NICE.....

Sounds good thanks for the info, I probably should order a set to keep for spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.