Termovar trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Has anyone run into any problems with their termovar valve sticking and restricting flow? I'm not sure yet, but I think mine might be giving me problems.

When I fired up yesterday I first thought that something was not right. As learned in farm troubleshooting 101, tap item to see if it returns to service. With that done the thermometers returned to the normal readings from last year.
My next step would have been to open the valve housings and check for debis or sticky valve. These are easy to access, there are many cut open pic's online to see where to look.

A little confused here. What opens the termovar?. The boiler water temp. or the water temp from the heating load?

I wonder if I'm trying to circulate too cold boiler water. What should my circ. aquastate be set at. I had it at 145. Could be I'm not giving the mixing valve a chance to fully open!

I fixed it!!
Hogstroker, your a genius. I took a hammer to the mixing valve. nothing happened. There is a swing check near there. I tapped it. A miracle. The check was sticking. What a difference. Everything works.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.