Q&A Terrible fireplace odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We've recently purchase a house with two large fireplaces- separate flues and common chimney. The lower fireplace located in the basement has an electric heatilator attached and glass doors. The problem is the basement has a smoky odor all the time. The basement is finished and I can't tell if the odor is strictly in the fireplace or if it's seeped into the carpets etc...(I know smoke can do that). Humidity seems to affect the strength of the odor also. The firebox definitely has a smoky smell to it. The upstairs fireplace has no odors whatsoever (probably not used too much). I'm pretty good around the house- so I would like to tackle this myself if it sounds reasonable.Should I:
1) Clean the fireplace myself? If so- what should I use?
2) Lose the heatilator?
3) Have it professionally cleaned ?If you can help- there's a chance I can stay married.

Answer:

Amazingly enough- this one is pretty simple. What you are smelling is the inside of your chimney- as the fireplace chimney has reversed when not in use. Take the following steps.
1. Clean the chimney
2. Purchase a bottle of "fireplace deodorant" at your local Hearth shop.
3. If possible- place a small piece of plywood and a brick- or use another method to seal the top of the chimney during the off season.
Should take care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.