Tesla "best car ever driven" by Consumer Reports

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The profit reports are kinda bogus, mostly a one-time credit for carbon offsets or something like that. Real profit figures are around a penny/share. Don't care. It's a completely new way to make/sell cars and I think it's going to succeed. Currently they're actually limiting production in order to concentrate on lowering the cost per vehicle (overtime, supply hiccups), getting the Zen where it should be before they flip the switch. Currently there's enough interest to sell 30k/year, more than 2x profitability.

The car is about 50k outside my price range, but I would love to own one. It outperforms cars costing 10-40k more money.

Reactions: renewablejohn
Its not just CR, the car enthusiast mags are saying similar things. Car and Driver and Road&Track have made similar "best car ever" statements in recent review. Quite something considering the audience they write for.

This is all about the Model S sedan, not the lotus based Roadster. The Roadster's teething problems almost sank the company, lets hope this does better.

They just scored a billion dollars thanks to a pretty wild short squeeze. 700 million after paying off the "loser" loans from DOE. Tomorrow there's a conference call about a charging network announcement. Each Model S has the option of supercharging, which cost about 2k and you get free charging for life at the supercharging stations Tesla is rolling out. 150 miles and it takes about 30 minutes (in warm weather). They have plans for 100 stations by 2015 and more from there.

The charging stations are about 250k each to build, about 1/10th a modest gas station fit up. The charging infrastructure barrier is not as bad as people think. Gas stations only make a penny/gallon after expenses. Think of all the coffee, cigs and scratch tickets they could rake in if people had to wait a 1/2hr to fill up.

With the 17" screen in the Tesla sedan folks will be watching movies or browsing while waiting. I can't wait until they have a more affordable mainstream vehicle for sale.

So, if I have a Tesla, do I have to find a Tesla station? Or what about a Volt station, or a Leaf station, or a Prius station? :rolleyes:

Think of all the coffee, cigs and scratch tickets they could rake in if people had to wait a 1/2hr to fill up.

I can see it now. The charging stations are the next meat markets. "Do you charge here often?".

So, if I have a Tesla, do I have to find a Tesla station? Or what about a Volt station, or a Leaf station, or a Prius station? :rolleyes:
No special station is needed for regular 120 or level 1 or 2, 240v charging, but the competing standards for fast charging are a problem. Most of the I5 corridor is setting itself up to provide fast charging for the Leaf's fast charge system standard (CHAdeMO) supported by Nissan, Toyota and Mitsubishi. Volkswagen, BMW, GM are now supporting a new SAE standard, but so far there are no cars with this plug. Tesla is mucking up the mix with yet another proprietary standard. The Prius and Volt are not affected and can continue on gasoline so they are not dependent on the fast charging port standard. With a pure electric vehicle, at best you will need an adapter, at worst you will be out of luck. It will be good when we get past this betamax/vhs war.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/28/sae-combo-nissan-chademo-fast-charge/

I can see it now. The charging stations are the next meat markets. "Do you charge here often?".

How long before the charging stations have rooms or little cottages available by the ½ hour? ;lol

How long before the charging stations have rooms or little cottages available by the ½ hour? ;lol
Sounds like a 'cottage industry' opportunity. Nothing like a little quick charge on the go to make a trip special.

Reactions: fossil
"Same time next week?" :cool:

From what understand the fast charging network in the U.S. will be a DC platform that bypasses the on-board charger and goes directly to the batteries. It's a matter of a couple extra wires and an extra contactor (Tesla charges 2k for the option, enough to pay for 150+ Supercharging stations/year.) so more than worth it in my opinion. The plug will differ, and we will end up with a trunk full of adapters like cell phones.

Europe and other nations (3 phase to the house) will be fast AC chargers.

Update: Tesla surprises analysts with 20 cent/share in Q2. They're looking to upgrade their charging port rated capacity to 120kw, which will get you 3hrs(around 200 miles) in 15-20 minutes. They've also demonstrated a battery-swapping platform 2x faster than a gasoline pump.

Far out man.

Yeah, 300% this year. (I don't own any :mad:). Too late now, at least for a while. It'll be interesting to see whether or not they're able to bring the price down as quickly as they're advertising.

If you are looking for an all electric what about the Chevy Spark???
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/22/2014-chevrolet-spark-ev-review-first-drive-video/
For anyone who has yet to experience the joys of indoor go-karting, you're missing out. Electric karts race around the inside of former big-box retail establishments, warehouses and the like delivering more excitement than you typically get from those rickety old concession karts powered by lawnmower engines. Since we can't afford anything wearing a Tesla badge, these usually come to mind when someone mentions an electric vehicle that's fun. After driving the 2014 Chevrolet Spark, though, our mental association might just be out of date.

I am angry with myself. I bought a bunch of stock in the low 20's and sold it all before it was 50.......
;hm

Pretty smart move. No way this company is worth 18 billion dollars today. Maybe 10 years from now, but waywayway overbought.

I don't care about the stock, other than it takes the heat off short-term gains. I want to see the vision as reality.

Reactions: woodgeek
Yeah, but when they crash in the movies they will still make a big fireball.

Reactions: jharkin
They address that in the report. No Tesla battery in either the model s or the roadster have ever caught fire, even after multiple real life crashes.

Safest car in the world.

I've come across two tesla chargers in my area randomly this summer....one on the NJ turnpike, the other at Hershey Park, PA. That Musk is my kind of billionaire.

Driving back from an outing to the mystic aquarium with the kids today, I saw two of these within 5 minutes, heading north on I95 into Rhode Island. First time I've ever seen one on the road, really nice looking car, and what struck me the most was how low the car is.

Is that all? I read more like $34K for the 85KW battery, but it is a guess. With the unlimited mileage warranty on the 85KW battery it will take many years to find out.

The demographic that can afford to buy one likely isn't concerned......

Status
Not open for further replies.