Tesla EV - 400 Mile Range

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs are out for the new volt 50 All Electric Miles which would translate into 60 AER on a good day. 41 MPG once the battery is depleted. And 5 passenger seating. LOve the concept but the car is just too small for my family and gear. Id be happy with 20-25 electric miles if they put it in an SUV or larger body type.

I suspect an SUV version will be coming. They have shown a concept car. I like the changes in the 2016 Volt. They got rid of my pet peeve, the center touch console.

So what do you guys think of the new BOLT 200 mile all electric range GM priced at $30000 . That kind of range should certainly satisfy the majority of drivers. BY the time gas goes through the roof again we should have a nice selection of alternatives out there.

Right now, there are projected to be THREE '200 mile' BEVs on the road in a couple years or so...Tesla Model 3, Leaf Gen 2 (MY2017) and GM Bolt.

All have promised to be ~$30,000 (after $7500 Fed rebate) = 37500 MSRP stripped.

Whether any (or all) of them can realize these goals remains to be seen.

Consensus on the street:
--Tesla will make 200 miles real range, but be delivered late and over budget
--Leaf will come in on schedule and budget (barely, Nissan might take a loss), but have at most 150 miles EPA real world range == 200 miles in LA city driving.
--Bolt is the most foggy....who knows?

200 nominal miles will require a battery of about 50 kWh. And price estimates are still $300-400/kWh, so that is $15-20k just for the battery in current tech.

I'm optimistic, but the cheap 200 mi BEV will be a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.