Test Propane Water Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wooden Head

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
West Michigan
I have a used propane water heater and would like to see if it functions. Can you use a tank that is used for a grill for the propane source? If so, what is needed to connect it to the water heater?

Thanks

For test purposes you should be able to to use a grill tank & regulator. you will need to do the plumbing as needed, and may find the tank freezes if you try to run it too long.

And keep the LP cylinder and water heater outside.
Do not fire the main burner without water in it.

The regulator might be a different psi than a grill reg., Just a thought as I have never compared the 2.

Same pressure. A BBQ regulator is a single stage regulator for outdoor use and manual controlled appliances only. When a appliance is installed inside and has thermostatic controlled burner it must use a two stage regulator for more precise pressure regulation and is code. The first stage is tank pressure down to 10 psi , the second stage down to 1/2 psi. That way the second stage only has to control from 10 psi down instead of hundreds of pounds of tank pressure to 1/2 psi. The more stages of regulation, the more precise the control.
They are both approx.1/2 psi outlet pressure or 11 inches water column.

The reason I stated to test outdoors is due to being illegal to take a DOT cylinder into any building.
The wetted surface area of a 20# cylinder is plenty to absorb enough heat from the atmosphere to run a residential water heater. When it is 1/4 full or less or extremely cold outside it looses the capacity to heat the LP to maintain the proper pressure.

Last edited: