1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Testing chainsaw chaps

Post in 'The Gear' started by 48rob, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    This is why I love this site and the people on it. Thanks for that!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    Those 10-play Labonville chaps are the same ones I have. Part of me says 'overkill', but another part of me says 'if that saw blade actually comes after your legs, you'll be wishing you had 20 ply'.

It seems like cutting 'one handed' is just asking for something bad to happen, but I've (luckily?) never had a chain come off, much less break. Yikes! I can see improper chain tension letting it come off, but what sort of thing causes them to break?
  3. WoodNStuff

WoodNStuff Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Thanks Rob for dissecting this pair of chaps. We sure get a bigger picture of how those things work.
  4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Many chains I've seen have been sharpened too deep into the tie straps, or run dry or in the dirt too long, & the rivets or straps fail under load & the chain breaks. If the chain catcher isn't where it should be stuff can get ugly quick. Long heavy chains, i.e. 3/8 & .404 pitch 24" & longer can sling like a mother. Been slapped a time or two myself, & glad I was wearing PPE. A C
  5. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I've tossed a chain more than once by cutting an elevated log and right when you get through it the log drags or pushes the chain on the bottom of the bar right off. Chain catchers are a must on any saw I use!
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    That pair of chaps is just like mine. Wish I had owned them when Old Yaller put me in the emergency room looking at the bone in my left leg. I won't even tune a saw without them on anymore.

I would feel really stupid if I got whacked with the chaps sitting in the shop.

Glad they stopped it guy.
  7. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I get a little heat for being "Safety Man" with power tools and always wear ear, eye and chaps protection when I use my saw. I am going to look into the glves now too. Where are you buying the gloves and what is a "Chain Catcher"? I think I need one or need to know if my saw has one?

For the record my saw is a Husqvarna 350 with and 18" bar that was bought new two years ago? ANyone know if they have a chain catcher on them?

Bob Urban
  8. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Bob, what saw are you using? Most new ones have a chain catcher as far as I know. Some older saws can have it added for under 5 bucks. Really old saws don't have anything of the sort!
  9. 48rob

48rob Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Illinois
    Bob,

I chose the chainsaw gloves from Forester for $20.00
    http://www.amickssuperstore.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=Forester Chainsaw Gloves

There are seveal places that make chainsaw gloves, but most only have the chain stopping material in the left hand.
    These have it in both gloves.
    Better? I don't know, but why not since I'm wearing them anyway...

They fit and feel just like the leather gloves with velcro staps that I usually wear.
    Be harder to loose them too, being so bright :)

Rob
  10. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Bob, if you take off your clutch cover you should see this on the bottom edge of your saw if it comes stock (I bet it does). If you don't have it, get it. Probably could live without it, but super cheap insurance, IMHO.
    http://northwoodsaw.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1122