Testing this years wood....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iembalm4aLiving

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2008
N.E. Ohio
Had a bit of time on my hands the other day so I split a few pieces of wood that's been stacked for this winter's use and hit 'em with the moisture meter. They all ranged between 13% and 17% :)

Just for grins I split open a piece of cottonwood that I just stacked back in June and it was an off-the-charts 43%!

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to the cold weather knowing I have a good supply of wood to keep me and my family toasty this winter.

A big stack of seasoned wood make you" feel warm all over".

So no need to wish for cold weather yet, it'll get here soon enough LOL :)

Had a bit of time on my hands the other day so I split a few pieces of wood that's been stacked for this winter and hit 'em with the moisture meter. They all ranged between 13% and 17% :)

Just for grins I split open a piece of cottonwood that I just stacked back in June and it was an off-the-charts 43%!

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to the cold weather knowing I have a good supply of wood to keep me and my family toasty this winter.

how long has it been stacked?
what kind of wood is it?

I am looking forward to the heating season. There simply has been too much hot weather this summer for me. Bring on the cold.

NUTS ? :eek:

I've got a few birch trees with the leaves starting to turn yellow. Even a few leaves starting to fall Why rush things :)

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve except this Christmas Eve has been ongoing since I finished my install in June. It's killing me not to be able to light this baby up :(.

That was similar to my first year, bought the stove in June and was dying for winter to come, its my favorite season anyway but I especially looked forward to that one, it was a cold one too.

I am on a 2 year plus drying cycle and I still get a "sizzler" every once and a while!

I thought you were going to say you tested some of your wood by setting fire to it in the stove.........;)

I'm looking forward to the burn season, but it can come in it's own time, no need to rush it...........

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
It's a nice feeling knowing the wood is dry and you have plenty to keep the house and family warm.
I've got exactly one birch on the property (at least that's all I've found) in the west side yard. It's been turning and dropping leaves for a couple weeks now.
The maples are starting to get a little red on 'em too, and so is the burning bush in the same yard.
Not looking forward to a bunch of snow, but I don't mind the cold too much as long as it's above 0::F.
The stove will more than likely get fired up in about 5-6 weeks.

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve except this Christmas Eve has been ongoing since I finished my install in June. It's killing me not to be able to light this baby up :(.

You will get over that about Dec. 5th.

I am looking forward to burning this season too. I will finally have wood that's been seasoned for 2 summers, almost 2 years total. I have good hardwoods too, Mulberry,White Ash, Black Locust, Honey Locust, & Hackberry. :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
if i had my druthers i'd order a cold dry winter, with a couple of early blizzards to cover the ground. i miss the deep cold we used to get. deep blue sky, -5 f during the day. may not see it again in my lifetime.

Reactions: Gark
NUTS ? :eek:

I've got a few birch trees with the leaves starting to turn yellow. Even a few leaves starting to fall Why rush things :)

Dave, we have the same thing happening. Not only on the birch but on most types of trees. Not really wanting to rush but really wanting to get out of the heat and humidity for a while. In addition, after it starts freezing; no more bugs.

Reactions: cptoneleg
Dave, we have the same thing happening. Not only on the birch but on most types of trees. Not really wanting to rush but really wanting to get out of the heat and humidity for a while. In addition, after it starts freezing; no more bugs.

Saw on the news the "west nile " virus is expanding due to mosquitoes.
Bug dope is a good thing compared to that.
I'v used so much bug dope the mosquitoes that bite me die. LOL :)

Funny but we've had the fewest mosquitoes this year than I've ever seen. But when the come out, the Thermacell takes care of them fast. I hate that bug dope or stuff you spray on.

The skeeters are terrible here. I live next to the lake so it's always a problem but this year they seem far worse than I remember them being. I can't use anything with deet to keep them off of me (I break out in a rash from the deet). I was outside at midday today and had them just swarming around/on me and it's just too blasted hot to wear long sleeves. I'm ready for the cooler weather.

SouthernBreeze, I have no connection with this company but I can't say enough for the Thermacell. They simply keep the skeeters away from you so no slapping necessary nor any need for deet or other type products.

I'll never forget the day I was late is stacking wood. Late may, 80 some degrees and very humid with no wind to speak of. Couldn't work outdoors worth a hoot. Came in, got the Thermacell. Laid it on the ground and took my shirt off. Stacked wood for the next two hours and never got bit one time. Simply put; it works.

SouthernBreeze, I have no connection with this company but I can't say enough for the Thermacell. They simply keep the skeeters away from you so no slapping necessary nor any need for deet or other type products.

I'll never forget the day I was late is stacking wood. Late may, 80 some degrees and very humid with no wind to speak of. Couldn't work outdoors worth a hoot. Came in, got the Thermacell. Laid it on the ground and took my shirt off. Stacked wood for the next two hours and never got bit one time. Simply put; it works.

I was just looking at their website but I'm glad to know that someone has actually tried and likes their product. I'm probably going to have to give this puppy a try. Thanks for the info.

Hey, you won't be sorry, especially where you live. Good luck.

Maybe we will have a real winter and kill some of these skeeters, just watching weather channell and are spraying for skeeters by airplane because diseses and deathes due to skeeters related to mild winter.

Tons of deer hunters use the Thermacells, my cousin swears by um. He gave me one, but i have never used it, i may this year after reading this.

I remember when i was in Highschool in the mid to late 90s ( yea i know im young) they drove trucks around spraying for them with truck mounted foggers, but i did grow up on the coast.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
One very nice addition we have here is that the county does spray or fog all summer. Naturally the towns and cities get the most but having a long driveway, we qualify for fogging weekly for most of the summer. That helps us a lot....if the wind is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.