Texans get your fire lit ! rolling power outages

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Just read that power company's in Texas are deliberately shutting power off for and rotating neighbor hoods to keep up with demand.

I notice things are quieter today and suspect that many people are dealing with power outages. Stay warm, safe and off the roads folks.

Could you guys please not hog all the snow and send some up here in Canada? I've only got a measly 2 inches. How's a self-respecting Canuck expected to go ice-fishin', beer guzzlin', tall tales tellin' in these conditions? ;)

Yeah with schools and businesses closed everybody is at home with the heat turned up, the TV in every room on and the cook stove belting out chow. The grid just can't take it so they have mandated fifteen to forty five minute rolling blackouts. Beats the heck out of melting down transfer stations or those big generating plants.

And gives Craig yet another opportunity to talk about how much energy Texas uses.

i haven't lost power yet but will bring in the car battery and inverter to run the blower if it happens.

it's cold outside and the stove's been running steady the past couple of days. thinking i may set the alarm to reload around 3a tonight. The house was a bit chilly this morning and we ended up running the gas furnace for about an hour.

Three years I installed a Guardian 15kw generator with an auto switch and it rated at 100 amps and it feeds the whole house. The propane is a 250 gallons tank I read today and I have 70% left. The lights and the blowers work. I have changed switch to the motions on the bulbs for the outside lights. Then the snoopy bad guys can't know what I am doing Hope the dogs bark at the right time (they bark and right way want to play). The news says the outages can last from 15 to 45 mins but today we out for over 2 hours. I will stand by.

CHECK YOUR OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are looking for sleet and snow from 9pm tonight.

Keep warm.

Robert

Okay, y'all, quit your bellyachin' about how much power Texas uses. We produce way more wind power than the next closest three states by a wide margin AND we have our own grid (the Texas Interconnect). If we were our own country, we'd be 6th in the world in wind power production. We make all we need in the state but we import some but that's only because we contribute to the rest of the country to keep them running and the way they keep books on power is "funny".

The problem is that the winds were too high out here in West Texas and the windfarms had to be shut down. The overall production went from 1700 MW to 300 in about 5 hours. (The blades only turn at 16 rpm with a max around 20. The winds here were 50-70 mph and gusting higher.) If they hadn't shut 'em down, we would have had towers falling from the pressures. When they took those off-line, they had to bring other stuff back on-line that typically doesn't run this time of year and that takes a while. Thus the rolling power downs.

THEN we brewed up that storm that's goin' NE out of here so y'all would have something to use your stoves for! Ain't we nice to y'all? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.