THANK-YOU!! - Block Plate and Double Lintel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsh3239

Sep 24, 2011
Oregon
Thanks to the Forum for sharing. Because you all took the time to chat with me - you provided me with enough information/courage to just be plain honest with my installer - and now I will get my block plate with the insulation and we have determined that the Napoleon 1402 - will likely not fit under the second lentil and we have the wrong stove. I have made 100 strides in the right direction because you took the time to share your expertise with me.
Now I get to go back to looking - anyone have any ideas for an insert - I need to clear two lentils - so the connector point to the flue liner needs to be back at least 10 inches from entrance to the fireplace and I only have about 23 inches height for an opening....(these two items kick out most stoves) I so far have seen the voyageur, the Quadrafire 4100I, Colonial TR004 and one I have never heard of before the Solution 2.0-I insert (that appear will work). Any ideas would be welcomed.....BUT TRULY - Thank-you for taking so much pride in your profession that you provide this avenue for regular consumers like myself. I hope others find you just as helpful. Good day - Seaturtle.

I just went back and read your prior posts again. My big thing is when folks are installing a new stove or insert is to think ahead to how you are going to clean that chimney. Keep that in mind all the way through the process of stove selection and installation of elbows or adapters down at the stove end.

You don't want to get to the first cleaning next year and have a sweep tell you that they are going to have to charge you to take the insert out and take everything apart just to clean the liner and connectors.

That 23" height is a tough one.

A PE Vista would fit the height. The minimum fireplace height is 22 inches. The distance from the front of the insert to the center of the flue outlet is 9 3/4 inches--a little short of the 10 inches that you require, but maybe could fit with an adapter.

Enviro 1200 or 1700 is about the lowest your going to find. It is 19 1/16 in. tall. Don't count the flue collar height on the Enviros. They have a removable flue collar that attaches from inside the stove. I had the same problem (low height) with my fireplace opening. It also had a bigger firebox than anything else I found. It's also available in several styles. Sorry if it seems like it endlessly push the Enviro inserts. It just seems that they match up well with these tight install situations. Also, they are good stoves.

How deep in is the second lintel? The Avalon Rainier needs 21 7/8", so it should work if the Enviro 1700 is not available. Travis makes this model with two options a 90 flue connection or one at a 45 deg angle.

BeGreen said:
How deep in is the second lintel? The Avalon Rainier needs 21 7/8", so it should work if the Enviro 1700 is not available. Travis makes this model with two options a 90 flue connection or one at a 45 deg angle.
I almost bought a Lopi 1750. It was a really nice stove. The installer came to my house and tried to talk me out of installing it. He tried to get me to put in a gas insert. Easier for him to install. I think he was scared of my terra cotta roof. Still almost bought a Lopi, but choose the Enviro for the larger firebox.

I will do some looking tonight at the models you all suggested. I did not even know about the Enviro stuff. To answer the last question - the second lentil (holly cow have I been spelling it wrong all this time? Lintel...learned something) is in about the width of two and 1/2 standard bricks +/- 0.5 inches The current napoleon's connector is at 8.5 inches from the face - this has forced the unit to be pushed back into the firebox up to 3.5 inches in points. The connection is right up against that lentil currently. How much room do you (the installers) need to get your hands into the space to make the connections? I have been truly amazed that a 21.5 inch stove can be slide into a 23 inch space - how in the heck are you guys getting your hands in there to hook up the coller to the box? I have little hands and I can't do it - one of those little secrets of the trade I suppose - if you tell me then the message will self destruct in 15 seconds....LOL.

Thanks again - really now I feel good about things. I am only bumbed that the hearthstone Clydesdale will not fit - I have a hearthstone - heritage stand alone in my Portland home - and I LOVE IT..... I would fork out the cash for a soapstone any time...More to come - after install......

Seaturtle

seaturtle said:
I will do some looking tonight at the models you all suggested. I did not even know about the Enviro stuff. To answer the last question - the second lentil (holly cow have I been spelling it wrong all this time? Lintel...learned something) is in about the width of two and 1/2 standard bricks +/- 0.5 inches The current napoleon's connector is at 8.5 inches from the face - this has forced the unit to be pushed back into the firebox up to 3.5 inches in points. The connection is right up against that lentil currently. How much room do you (the installers) need to get your hands into the space to make the connections? I have been truly amazed that a 21.5 inch stove can be slide into a 23 inch space - how in the heck are you guys getting your hands in there to hook up the coller to the box? I have little hands and I can't do it - one of those little secrets of the trade I suppose - if you tell me then the message will self destruct in 15 seconds....LOL.

Thanks again - really now I feel good about things. I am only bumbed that the hearthstone Clydesdale will not fit - I have a hearthstone - heritage stand alone in my Portland home - and I LOVE IT..... I would fork out the cash for a soapstone any time...More to come - after install......

Seaturtle
The Clydesdale is a beautiful insert. The best looking insert made IMO. That being said, the Enviro Boston is awesome looking to. Take a look a pharmsaler's recent thread. His Boston install looks great.

If I understand correctly, the Enviro 1200 will not work for you. The 1700 will. You'll want the extra firebox space anyway. The Enviro line comes in 3 different styles, so there is plenty of choice. The Boston model also comes in 3 different enamel colors or plain black. If you want to check the insert dimensions, download the Venice owners manual. When I bought/installed mine, the Kodiak manual had some incorrect measurements. After a few emails to Enviro's tech support, I found out that the Venice manuals dimensions were correct.

Edit: the flue collar on the Enviro disconnects from the inside of the stove, as BrotherBart suggested below. This allows you to connect the flue from inside the stove. Makes tight installs easy.

Some of the close fit inserts allow you to reach up through the flue collar from inside the insert and pull the adapter down into the hole in the top of the insert. Because of close fits just like you have there.

You guys ROCK!!! - Thanks I did not know about the Enviro models - I think you just found me a saving grace - I love the looks of the Kodiak 1700 - and I think it is going to be a nice fit with room to make nice clean lines and connections. It has such a larger burn box than the voyageur - I do not think I have read any stove that has over 80% efficency. how did I miss these units on my research - I read TONS of manuals. I will also look at the Hearthstone Morgan - but if that does not allow for a creative connection a half of an inch is not much to work with.

Seriously - Thanks. I feel that I found this forum in just the nick of time - in time not to have regrets.

Seaturtle

seaturtle said:
You guys ROCK!!! - Thanks I did not know about the Enviro models - I think you just found me a saving grace - I love the looks of the Kodiak 1700 - and I think it is going to be a nice fit with room to make nice clean lines and connections. It has such a larger burn box than the voyageur - I do not think I have read any stove that has over 80% efficency. how did I miss these units on my research - I read TONS of manuals. I will also look at the Hearthstone Morgan - but if that does not allow for a creative connection a half of an inch is not much to work with.

Seriously - Thanks. I feel that I found this forum in just the nick of time - in time not to have regrets.

Seaturtle
Here is a pic of my Kodiak. I did the install myself in a few hours. The tile hearth extension took another couple days. It's a great insert. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 386
Yes

kingquad said:
Enviro 1200 or 1700 is about the lowest your going to find. It is 19 1/16 in. tall. Don't count the flue collar height on the Enviros. They have a removable flue collar that attaches from inside the stove. I had the same problem (low height) with my fireplace opening. It also had a bigger firebox than anything else I found. It's also available in several styles. Sorry if it seems like it endlessly push the Enviro inserts. It just seems that they match up well with these tight install situations. Also, they are good stoves.

Could not have put it any better. I think I'm going on my 4th or 5th season, and my 1700 keeps doing what it is supposed to do. One exception, the bearings in the blower motor started to get a little noisy last year. After taking it apart, I discovered that skateboard wheel bearings are the smae. The local bike and skate shop had many types to choose from (steel, ceramic, etc). $20 bucks later (for a set of 8 bearings) and up and running again. ;) KD

kd460 said:
kingquad said:

Could not have put it any better. I think I'm going on my 4th or 5th season, and my 1700 keeps doing what it is supposed to do. One exception, the bearings in the blower motor started to get a little noisy last year. After taking it apart, I discovered that skateboard wheel bearings are the smae. The local bike and skate shop had many types to choose from (steel, ceramic, etc). $20 bucks later (for a set of 8 bearings) and up and running again. ;) KD
Good tip!! Thanks

Just to clarify, the originals are a double rubber sealed bearing number 608 (industry standard number for the bearing). The blower only uses two, but the skate shops usually sell them in sets of 8. The original bearings are a slight resistance fit (or could have been dirt and or oxidization-who knows), but they came off with little effort. The new bearings seemed to go on easier, but then again I cleaned the shaft with some fine emery cloth before replacing them. The skate bearing is metal double shielded instead of double rubber shielded like the original. KD

Good tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.