Thanks - Dauntless installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steel city fire

Apr 14, 2024
Pennsylvania
We had our VC Dauntless installed a few days ago. The information and discussions in this forum were so valuable. It won’t be our primary heat but something we’ve been thinking about for a while. This forum gave us the confidence to go ahead with the project. Pictures below. Also, we did just a couple “break-in” fires and all went well.

IMG_2723.jpeg IMG_2727.jpeg IMG_2725.jpeg

Always liked the red. One of a couple enamels that catches my eye.
I hope it serves you well.

Reactions: steel city fire
Thanks for the comment and advice. I have noticed in western PA that people who process/sell wood are using large kilns more and more. Have you used kiln dried vs natural dried? Is there a big difference if both are below 20% moisture?

No difference if the Moisture content is the same, be aware though that kiln dried doesn't necessarily mean the wood is less than 20%. Some places cook it just enough to kill the bugs.

Thanks for the comment and advice. I have noticed in western PA that people who process/sell wood are using large kilns more and more. Have you used kiln dried vs natural dried? Is there a big difference if both are below 20% moisture?

You can look in my signature on how to build a solar kiln.. You really need to look into how its dried before you buy. Most are drying enough to kill bugs not truly seasoning the wood. There is a difference between air drying and kiln wood. You will only notice the difference between the two when the kiln dried wood is 15%MC and below. Youll never really get air dried wood that dry unless you in a desert. You can literally liknd dry your own wood in a matter of months. or let it sit and air dry for 3 years.. Some of my bet wood was kiln dry.. best burning wood I ever had in my stove.. Mu oak was like 5%MC

Reactions: all night moe