That time of the year again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbonboy

Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2006
I work in a 911 center, so we pretty much get to see the full gammut of human folly and negligence. We're up to 5 chimney fires today, and it's not even noon yet! Seems that no matter how many fire-safety awareness lectures/brochures/ads/advice you give, there are still the same number of people every year who light off that stove without a thought of what the flue looks like. Luckily modern technology like thermal-imaging cameras and such make it easier and faster to find fires in walls, but I'd rather not have to see people out in the cold while their house burns, because they wouldn't think before lighting a fire. Many local volunteer fire departments will clean chimneys for free or a donation, just because it saves them the trip later.

After the talk about requiring CO detectors and such, I am working with my church to start a program to give out batteries for detectors, and install them for the elderly or those who can't themselves. Thanks and credit to whoever came in with that idea last week.

I for one can't sleep if I have any doubts about my woodburners/chimneys, I guess ignorance truly IS bliss!

Gibbonboy said:
I work in a 911 center, so we pretty much get to see the full gammut of human folly and negligence. We're up to 5 chimney fires today, and it's not even noon yet! Seems that no matter how many fire-safety awareness lectures/brochures/ads/advice you give, there are still the same number of people every year who light off that stove without a thought of what the flue looks like. Luckily modern technology like thermal-imaging cameras and such make it easier and faster to find fires in walls, but I'd rather not have to see people out in the cold while their house burns, because they wouldn't think before lighting a fire. Many local volunteer fire departments will clean chimneys for free or a donation, just because it saves them the trip later.

After the talk about requiring CO detectors and such, I am working with my church to start a program to give out batteries for detectors, and install them for the elderly or those who can't themselves. Thanks and credit to whoever came in with that idea last week.

I for one can't sleep if I have any doubts about my woodburners/chimneys, I guess ignorance truly IS bliss!

Here in Southern Maryland, I haven't seen any literature about chimney safety. The only thing I've seen about fires in my neck of the woods is burning bans when the weather is real dry. Alot of chimneys in the DC/MD/VA area don't even have a rain/chimney cap. Even heard stories about animals being found dead in the living room because they climbed down the chimney (w/ no cap) and got killed by the dog(s) inside...

CK-1 said:
Even heard stories about animals being found dead in the living room because they climbed down the chimney (w/ no cap) and got killed by the dog(s) inside...

Around here, that's called dinner. ;)

Trick is- getting the squirrel without powder burns on the drapes! ;)

Luckily, it's warmed up today, hopefully some of these people will get their chimney cleaned before it gets cold again, but I have little hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.