That wood is too dry to burn!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJRages

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Mid Missouri
I came across this today...
http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/space_heating_cooling/index.cfm/mytopic=12570

Under the heading of Selecting and Storing Wood:
"Because a lot of energy can be wasted burning wet wood, you should use wood that has been properly seasoned. Properly seasoned wood is harvested in the spring and allowed to dry throughout the summer. Look for wood that is of even color, without any green. It should have a moisture content of just over 20%–25% by weight. Some well-seasoned wood can in fact be too dry for today's airtight modern stoves. If you place wood that is too dry on a bed of coals, it will instantly give up its gases as smoke, wasting unburned smoke and producing creosote buildup."

What? Has anyone heard of this? Could the Department of Energy be wrong?

Good Grief, I've been saying this since I joined this site and have gotten basically ignored. Nice to see some affirmation for this "old timer's" way of thinking and experience.

This is not a new discovery. I first learned of this over 30 years ago when my house mates and I got one of those oval-shaped sheet metal Ashleys. Mixing in green wood with the seasoned wood was advised as the best way to get a regulated burn in that stove. Of course, we cut plenty of green, but as new burners living in a small city, we suffered from a shortage of seasoned to mix in with it. :lol:

Battenkiller said:
Good Grief, I've been saying this since I joined this site and have gotten basically ignored. Nice to see some affirmation for this "old timer's" way of thinking and experience.

You think you are being ignored because 15% wood is just fine in a cat or tube re-burn stove. Ideal in fact. And nobody wants to get into a long argument about it. Ya just have to see it in action.

With a load of dry pine in my stoves the stack goes smoke free at around four hundred degrees stove top temp when re-burn lights off. It just takes a different management of primary air getting to that four hundred than with hardwood. And as long as that pipe is hot all the crap in the world could go up it anyway and it ain't gonna stick if there isn't a bunch of moisture going up with it to cool the pipe.

As Vanessa says in the famous Canadian video, you can get long clean burns with loads of dry poplar or pine in the re-burn stoves.

BrotherBart said:
Battenkiller said:

You think you are being ignored because 15% wood is just fine in a cat or tube re-burn stove. Ideal in fact. And nobody wants to get into a long argument about it. Ya just have to see it in action.

With a load of dry pine in my stoves the stack goes smoke free at around four hundred degrees stove top temp when re-burn lights off. It just takes a different management of primary air getting to that four hundred than with hardwood. And as long as that pipe is hot all the crap in the world could go up it anyway and it ain't gonna stick if there isn't a bunch of moisture going up with it to cool the pipe.

As Vanessa says in the famous Canadian video, you can get long clean burns with loads of dry poplar or pine in the re-burn stoves.
I dont think they are talking about 15%.

Unless you live in a desert or buy kiln dry wood I don't think you can get firewood that's too dry, the relative humidity will only let it get down so far wich is usually around 15-25%.

CJRages said:
http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/space_heating_cooling/index.cfm/mytopic=12570

"Because a lot of energy can be wasted burning wet wood, you should use wood that has been properly seasoned. Properly seasoned wood is harvested in the spring and allowed to dry throughout the summer. Look for wood that is of even color, without any green. It should have a moisture content of just over 20%–25% by weight. Some well-seasoned wood can in fact be too dry for today's airtight modern stoves. If you place wood that is too dry on a bed of coals, it will instantly give up its gases as smoke, wasting unburned smoke and producing creosote buildup."

Yes, they can be very wrong. Let's not forget it is a department of the government....which tells a big story in itself.

I suggest people try an experiment. Get a fire going outdoors. A decent sized fire and wait until you have some coals built up before you try your experiment. So it might take a little time but when the fire has been going good and you have a decent sized coal bed, then throw some really dry wood on the fire and take note of the smoke you get from that. When that has burned up, then take some green wood and throw it on the fire. Take note of the smoke you get from this. Compare the two. Do you get more smoke from the dry wood or from the green wood?

On the part that reads, "Some well-seasoned wood can in fact be too dry for today's airtight modern stoves. If you place wood that is too dry on a bed of coals, it will instantly give up its gases as smoke, wasting unburned smoke and producing creosote buildup." Well, maybe they are right and I am wrong. However, I installed our newest stove in 2007. We heat 100% with that stove. We do not even have a backup furnace so are totally dependent upon this stove. So what do we burn in this stove?

In the winter of 2007-2008 plus the winter of 2008-2009 we burned wood that was 6-7 years since splitting and stacking. Was that wood too dry? Did it create creosote? On the contrary. When we installed this new stove we also put up a new SS chimney (too short by normal standards which should make things even worse). We did not clean this new chimney until after the 2008-2009 burning season. That is 2 full winters of burning this terrible dry wood. When I cleaned the chimney, there was less than a cup of soot. No creosote.

Now I have to ask, "Do you think the government statement is correct?"

Methinks there is just too much bad information floating around and when someone sees something like this in print they take it as truth. Okay, but I'll continue to question their so-called facts, especially when what we see happening is contrary to what they are printing.

Todd said:
Unless you live in a desert or buy kiln dry wood I don't think you can get firewood that's too dry, the relative humidity will only let it get down so far wich is usually around 15-25%.
Good point!

Not to mention, where ya gonna find a "modern airtight stove". That dates'em quite a bit.

good one. :lol:

Perhaps we can all collectively petition the government to make all wood deemed too dry to burn available in large stock piles for experimental fires..............I'll be happy to get some and experiment the winters away! Cheers!

Hum...Wonder who did the research?

I haven't been burning for very long. About 6 years now. Several of those years I didn't know about this site and I ordered my wood in July and began burning it in October. I also covered it - only about 1-2ft left uncovered - as recommended by some guy who delivered our wood once.

Had to have my chimney swept 2 times in a season. Got about a gallon of gunk out each time.

Found this site. Learned about seasoning wood for at least a year and leaving piles uncovered until the late Fall and then covering the tops only and I now have chimney cleaned 1 time a year and get minimal gunk out of it.

My sweep is a seasoned fireman (40+ years) and he was the one who said I could cut back on sweepings...

Me thinks I shall stick with what I have learned from personal experience by applying what I have learned on this forum.

You all are my 'experts'.

I ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:
CJRages said:

Yes, they can be very wrong. Let's not forget it is a department of the government....which tells a big story in itself.

I suggest people try an experiment. Get a fire going outdoors. A decent sized fire and wait until you have some coals built up before you try your experiment. So it might take a little time but when the fire has been going good and you have a decent sized coal bed, then throw some really dry wood on the fire and take note of the smoke you get from that. When that has burned up, then take some green wood and throw it on the fire. Take note of the smoke you get from this. Compare the two. Do you get more smoke from the dry wood or from the green wood?

On the part that reads, "Some well-seasoned wood can in fact be too dry for today's airtight modern stoves. If you place wood that is too dry on a bed of coals, it will instantly give up its gases as smoke, wasting unburned smoke and producing creosote buildup." Well, maybe they are right and I am wrong. However, I installed our newest stove in 2007. We heat 100% with that stove. We do not even have a backup furnace so are totally dependent upon this stove. So what do we burn in this stove?

In the winter of 2007-2008 plus the winter of 2008-2009 we burned wood that was 6-7 years since splitting and stacking. Was that wood too dry? Did it create creosote? On the contrary. When we installed this new stove we also put up a new SS chimney (too short by normal standards which should make things even worse). We did not clean this new chimney until after the 2008-2009 burning season. That is 2 full winters of burning this terrible dry wood. When I cleaned the chimney, there was less than a cup of soot. No creosote.

Methinks there is just too much bad information floating around and when someone sees something like this in print they take it as truth. Okay, but I'll continue to question their so-called facts, especially when what we see happening is contrary to what they are printing.

Could not have said it any better!

BrotherBart said:

Hey, I don't really care if I'm ignored. Not complaining, just making note. Folks can be resistant to facts, especially when they fly in the face of apparent observation. It's much easier to go along with the crowd, but that's just not my style when I know things to be different. I like BG's sig line, it says it all.

I know the new stoves with reburn tubes, and beams, and cats, and high tech insulation in odd places, etc. can handle lots of smoke, but they can easily be overwhelmed when a ton of bone dry splits are loaded on top of a big bed of coals, most particularly when the wood is split real small. I have friends with cat stoves and my landlord has a big QF, so I know what these things burn like. Plus, I've seen about 18 million YouTube vids showing those fabulous secondaries. Doesn't matter, because if you don't burn those things right they can be way smokier than a "smoke dragon" full of wet wood burned properly. And just because you have 30 years experience burning wood and can figure things out pretty fast, that doesn't necessarily hold true for new burners. All winter long I've been reading about folks with new stoves gunking up their flues, and all I ever see is advice to try burning a load of supermarket "kiln-dried" wood split real small. Then they panic about overfiring their $3000 investment, so they shut the air way down and pray. No wonder they are having problems.

And as long as that pipe is hot all the crap in the world could go up it anyway and it ain't gonna stick if there isn't a bunch of moisture going up with it to cool the pipe

Well, to attempt to dispel another myth, I'll repeat this for the umpteenth time so you can ignore it again: You absolutely cannot avoid lots of moisture going up the flue. Even with a load of 0% MC, oven-dried wood, burning each pound of it to completion creates well over half a pound of water (about .54 pounds to be precise) as a by-product of combustion itself, and almost all of that water is released into the flue at the beginning of the burn when hydrocarbon gases (read that as "smoke" for these purposes) are being burned off. Another good reason to burn real hot right after reloads. What's so special about combustion water compared to water in the wood? Both leave the stove at temps well above the condensation point. Does the chimney somehow magically select for water molecules from the wood and give a free pass to the combustion water, which is twice as much as the water contained in wood at 27% MC?

After that initial burn off is done and coaling has started, nearly all of the flue gases are composed of carbon dioxide since there are no longer any hydrogen molecules left in the charcoal (basically pure carbon) to form water. At that point, an old airtight stove will burn better and give off more heat because air flows more freely through them than it does on a stove with all the contraptions stuck to it, and there is no fancy insulation to get in the way of heat transfer.

Anyway, no one is saying that wood at 15% MC won't burn well at in an EPA stove, but there is much evidence that wood below that is not ideal and too low (12%) can be bad if too much is loaded onto a nice bed of coals. When I tossed about 5 pounds of oven-dried (that's 0% MC) chunks into my stove after my moisture content experiment, they smoked like hell for about ten minutes, then they turned right into charcoal and burned fine. Could a set of reburn tubes handle that much smoke? Prolly. Can they handle 50 pounds of smallish kiln-dried splits with the air turned all the way down? Try it and tell me.

About that argument that I said nobody wants to have... ;-)

This is one old dog that is enjoying the new tricks that he has learned since he waded in here in 2005.

Backwoods Savage said:
In the winter of 2007-2008 plus the winter of 2008-2009 we burned wood that was 6-7 years since splitting and stacking. Was that wood too dry? Did it create creosote?

Dennis, you could season that wood for 6 years or 7 years or 67 years... it ain't ever going to get lower than about 15% MC in your location (16% is what will be found all throughout Michigan in December for outside-stored wood ) regardless of what you think. No one is arguing about 15% MC being dangerous.

And your campfire comparison is irrelevant. We're talking wood stoves here. Still, I have burned well over 5000 open-air fires in my 50+ years of playing with fire. Some of them have been real doozies. My observations should be as valid as the next guy's. I've tossed freshly cut pine - virtually unburnable in a wood stove - on a huge campfire and never observed much smoke at all. There was so much heat and so much available air that the outside of the logs dried and burned almost simultaneously.

This info isn't just coming from the U.S gov't. My 35 year old wood stove book talks about it and the other information cited here comes from the website of John Gulland, an industry leader and a very knowledgeable resource regarding all things wood burning.

BrotherBart said:
This is one old dog that is enjoying the new tricks that he has learned since he waded in here in 2005.

Well, this dog's learned a thing or two as well since I joined way back in '09. "The drier the wood the better the burn" just ain't one of those things. ;-P

Here's the other reason the other reason that 'report' is a load of crap: "it will instantly give up its gases as smoke"

Really? that big lump of wood, at 70degF, and a poor conductor of heat will 'instantly' heat up sufficiently to give off so much gas that it can't be burned. The laws of thermodynamics are not on your side...

Maybe they're loading the stove with fir 2x4s. With the 8-10" splits I'm reloading in a hot stove, this is simply not an issue.

The other article I posted says the same thing in a much better way, he says wood should be 20% plus or minus a couple of per cent and that is what the stoves are designed for, is that so wrong?

"The right band of firewood moisture is between 15 and 20%."

Sounds about right to me, but I don't have a moisture meter. I use my skin to test the wood moisture.

BeGreen said:
Maybe they're loading the stove with fir 2x4s. With the 8-10" splits I'm reloading in a hot stove, this is simply not an issue.

Fir 2x4s? Who'd load a stove with those? :p

Granted, big splits will do much better on a hot coal bed than small ones. The point is that excessive dryness is not necessary for a good burn, and can be detrimental if carried to extremes. For all intents and purposes, wood at 20% MC will burn just about the same as wood at 15% or at 25% MC.

BTW, those fir 2x4s used for the tests are air-dried to around 20-25% MC.

Not to be to nit-picky on semantics, but the original quote says "well-seasoned" not "kiln-dried". I doubt any wood is going to end up too well-seasoned in anyone's yard outside of Mojave.
Seems pretty academic that filling any stove with kiln-dried kindling is going to result in a very short, hot burn that probably needs more oxygen than you'll get unless the door is open. I've burned some kiln-dried beams in my stove, though, and not had any issue achieving secondary burn and a reasonable burn time. If the pieces are large enough, they'll only burn so fast, and hot enough to ensure reburn. But yeah, only burning kiln-dried kindling is probably not very efficient. That's why most of us don't own kilns.

Backwoods Savage said:

+1 No such thing as wood that is too dry.

My smoke dragon is 40 years old, and the drier the wood, the better. I just put less wood in the stove because it doesn't need as much of it to get the same amount of heat. If I fill the 7 cubic foot firebox to the top with super-dry wood (lumber scraps etc.) well yes, we might have a problem with the wood being 'too dry to fill the stove to the top with it'. But why would I want to, I don't need that much and I never fill that old stove to the top anyway, with any wood. If it's really, really dry I need to use less of it, which of course is a major point about dry wood anyway, right?

I'm not one to take anything our government says as gospel.

Status
Not open for further replies.