1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

That's a crock!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Jack Straw, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    hmmm, peel? I'm not sure I could eat a meat I had to peel......just keep cooking it. No, I never had tongue, nor face of cow....mostly just parts between tail and neck, and above ankle.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Don't rule out the tail!

pen
    Thistle likes this.
  3. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    I have heard good things about tail....I'm lookin into gettin some ==c.
    firefighterjake, Eatonpcat and es332 like this.
  4. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

LOVE Oxtail stew.Quite common in parts of the UK,Central/Eastern Europe (where I first tried it) & Asian cuisine.Not easy to find them now compared to years ago,but a couple local deli's - butcher shops still stock them. Carrots,mushrooms,onion,celery,potato chunks (unpeeled if their extra nice),red & green bell pepper,small amount of minced garlic,fresh cracked pepper,tomato sauce/juice,bit of worcestershire sauce,brown sugar,dried thyme/oregano & parsley..... Oh yeah!! Brown them in flour first in cast iron skillet,then add the onion/celery/bell pepper.Add remaining ingredients to crock pot or dutch oven.Simmer for 4-6 hours until they fall apart....Served with crusty bread & plenty of good dark ale or something like Guinness,Spaten Oktoberfest or similar Lager even.

Crap.....I'm hungry now.
    ScotO, pen and Pallet Pete like this.
  5. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    When I do whole hog cook outs, the cheek meat never leaves the cutting table, it is passed to the cutters. Don' rule out face either.

And smoked pork hocks make for some good soup base. Don't rule out ankles either.;)
    ScotO and Thistle like this.
  6. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

Last night I had braised pork shank (schweinhaxe at your German gasthaus) at a newly opened local Brewpub/restaraunt. WOW. Just as I expected. I knew there was a reason I just had a light snack for lunch yesterday;) ...ate it ALL & normally most places I take home 1/2 to 3/4ths of my meal for the next day.

http://exilebrewing.com/
    ScotO and Jags like this.
  7. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    See Delta - ankle good!
    Thistle likes this.
  8. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

Growing up I remember having smoked shanks w/ sauerkraut fairly often.Roasted in oven to get that nice crisp crust on the outside >> Am mostly of Irish/Scotch extraction but I learned to like a variety of foods starting in early teens.Even as a very picky eater at age 7-8,still loved kraut w/various sausages or pork ribs.::-)
    ScotO and Jags like this.
  9. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    as much as we North-easters would like to make fun of you mid-westers, you guys really got it going on pretty good out there. The midwest really is an eclectic place, with a lot of different enthic heritage....we dont got a lot of that kind of variety. We got chain restaurants, and pub food....ethnic here is seafood ;lol....is joke. Not too too far from me is an...Italian Steakhouse.....WTF is that? Italian steak is lamb right? I fear no food, and even eat things I do not care for, just in case my pallet has changed since last time..I make effort to find face, tail, and ankles....then we can discuss.
  10. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    My wife makes one similar, but uses Dr. Pepper instead of root beer and cooks it in Chipolte peppers in Adobo insted of BBQ sauce.
    Thistle likes this.
  11. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

Holy.Crap. That sounds amazing.I've heard down South they really like Coca-Cola in lots of stuff.I've had a chocolate cake made w/ Coke before,gonna try either a pot roast or round steak sometime soon.Even some damn good homemade BBQ sauces made with Coke & especially JD Old # 7 ;)
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  12. Freeheat

Freeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    Gotta try this one
    Eatonpcat likes this.