Thats it...I'm splitting before stacking from now on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
USA
Left some red oak outside for a couple years. Partially covered but not really well at all so it gets wet and snowy. Well they are dusty...saw dusty...holes all over...I'm guessing some sort of BEETLE!!!

If I had split these things I bet lots of the bark would have rubbed off in the process and I wouldn't have had these critters attack my wood! Who eats hardwood!

Now of course I try and only keep Locust ;) but sometimes I can't find any. What other wood but Locust is resistant to critters?

NoPaint said:
Left some red oak outside for a couple years. Partially covered but not really well at all so it gets wet and snowy. Well they are dusty...saw dusty...holes all over...I'm guessing some sort of BEETLE!!!

If I had split these things I bet lots of the bark would have rubbed off in the process and I wouldn't have had these critters attack my wood! Who eats hardwood!

Now of course I try and only keep Locust ;) but sometimes I can't find any. What other wood but Locust is resistant to critters?

Not many woods resist insects including Locust.. My dad's house has quite a few Locust and carpenter ants have no trouble boring into them and just about any other wood for that matter... Keep the wood off the ground and you'll be fine.. I get borer holes in my oak and it's in a shelter and the wood is still very heavy..

Ray

If you would paint that firewwod critters probably not bother it;; Are You sure u live in USA, my part of USA critters like Locust just fine :zip:

Those sound like some kind of powderpost beetle.They attack the sapwood under the bark in quite a few different species.I've noticed over the years they really go after Hickory,Red/Black Oaks,Eastern Red Cedar/Juniper & a few others.Honey Locust also,after 2-3 yrs it can be riddled with hundreds of tiny dust-filled holes,though the heartwood is rarely touched.I try not to leave any wood with bark inside the shop/garage past the heating season,since I've seen them leave their marks on other lumber I had stored.

Like Thistle I'm guessing this could be powder post beetles . . . not a big deal . . . just makes a wee bit of fine sawdust . . .

Not many wood species are totally resistant to critters . . . especially if given a nice, wet and dark area to live in . . . not sure you would have much better luck even with split wood . . .

This is just part and parcel of heating with wood . . . PPBs are really not that much of a problem.

Cedar is pretty critter resistant as well as Osage, but those little powder post beetles did hurt much. I would bet that they didn't consume more than a btu per log. :lol:

Definitely sounds like powder post beetles at work. Will it make any difference if you split the wood before stacking? For sure it will make a huge difference in the length of time before the wood is ready to burn. But what about the beetles? It makes no difference to them what you do. They are hungry no matter what. We pay no attention to them at all and have lots every year. We do always have more when we cut elm.

Status
Not open for further replies.