The Annual Chore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
So today I got up on my roof to clean my chimney (as a side note, what was I thinking waiting for a day in the high 90s:eek:). Anyway, after a full burning season, I got less than a quarter gallon of ashes from the entire chimney. It's good to verify that the chimney is clean and that the wood that I'm burning isn't creating much creosote. Maybe I'll go to cleaning it every 2-3 years?

Sounds good - I'm going to wait till the fall when it is a lot cooler. Burning hot, with dry wood, you can likely go every other year - just be sure to at least look at the flue to be sure you don't need to sweep. Cheers!

Sounds like clean burning with rightous wood to me. We should all be so lucky (me included). Good going!

So today I got up on my roof to clean my chimney (as a side note, what was I thinking waiting for a day in the high 90s:eek:). Anyway, after a full burning season, I got less than a quarter gallon of ashes from the entire chimney. It's good to verify that the chimney is clean and that the wood that I'm burning isn't creating much creosote. Maybe I'll go to cleaning it every 2-3 years?

Yes. However, check it annually.

I need to clean mine since I went the whole year without a cleaning. I like to believe that I burned good seasoned wood and even errored on the side of caution by keeping the air flow a bit higher than needed to avoid creosote buildup. Only problem is the chimney is way high and the roof is steep. I am a firefighter, but I know that the ladder I have will be near its max when I try to get up there. Think the FD will mind if I borrow and nice 36 footer for a day?

Good deal
Like said, check annually, clean as needed but peace of mind has value. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.