The Ants Were Movin' Kinda Slow Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
The sun was shining, the temp hit 10°F ABOVE ZERO, and I knew then it was time to head for the woods.

Yes indeed, the ants were a teensy bit sluggish.
IMG_4950.jpg

The length of my rounds varies even more than they usually do, when the tree is partially hidden in the snow!
IMG_4943.jpg

I sure love that old maul.
IMG_4954.jpg

When the loggers salvaged the trees that were uprooted by the tornado in 2004, they left a lot of these. Some of them are hollow, some of them are punk, but most of them are good yet for firewood. I can get a round or two out of all of them, or some, like this 12-14 inch diameter one, are 10 feet long. I'll be cutting this one up one of these days.
IMG_4958.jpg

I know this one is rotten just by looking at it and it's almost all a big old burl anyway. It's final resting state is as you see it here.
IMG_4957.jpg

This one was in good shape and made two nice rounds.
IMG_4956.jpg

I got a lot of good firewood out of those two rounds.
IMG_4959.jpg

Headin' back to the fire! The narrow trails are just right for an ATV and nothing more.
IMG_4968.jpg

Burnin' on the right and stackin' on the left. If I cut again tomorrow, I'll have to make a few more stacks in the woods. I'm out of room again, for now.
IMG_4970.jpg

Great pictures as always, keep them coming!

Great Pics - I love the sled behind your quad!

Thanks! It's good exercise for an old fat guy like me, and combines my love of taking pictures and making firewood.

As for the sled, I had it in the junkpile. I'm kind of glad I rescued it. It's been around at least since the early 1970s. It almost went with the junk dealer twice, but I kept hanging onto it. This is probably the first time it's been used in 20 years. It doesn't haul nearly as much as my little wood trailer, but it's fun because it's something different to drag around. I think I could get around on the trails pretty easy with the trailer now, since I packed the trails good, but I will continue to play with the sled for awhile.

I almost forgot to post this important picture! In the last picture above, you can see a blue extension cord stretched across. That cord is for Tigger and Pooh. They are guarding my woodpile during the holidays:
IMG_4805.jpg

Great pictures.

Love the ants Picture
, not sure they're dead though, we have the big carpenter ants here & is below zero for months & they survive.

From the pics of the stumps,
I thought the snow was real deep the year they got cut. :)

Tornado, OH MY.
Don't got them here in Alaska, & I'm glad :)

Nope, those ants are definitely not dead. If you were to bring them in the house, in a few hours they'd be running around like new!

I like to sprinkle Sevin on them in the Winter.
They never move again.
No bees to harm.
Not too many birds looking for ants.

you never cover your wood???

Great pics as always, quads. Carpenter ants are hearty creatures. Insects amaze me. They're almost like a virus. The can sort of go dormant and then revive when conditions are more favorable. They'll probably long outlast us volatile mammals.

iceman said:

He's so far ahead, his great-grand kids aren't gonna be cold. :)

I wouldn't trust Tigger and Pooh to what my wood pile. :lol:

billb3 said:
iceman said:

He's so far ahead, his great-grand kids aren't gonna be cold. :)
Ha! That's part of the plan. And the neighbors' great-grand kids, and my friends' great-grand kids, and .............

Flatbedford said:
I wouldn't trust Tigger and Pooh to what my wood pile. :lol:
Pooh does ok, but Tigger is usually asleep on the job (especially when it's windy, he lays down).

Yesterday's stack, another one in the woods since the yard is filled up again!
IMG_4997.jpg

Quads I heard if you dip those little guys in chocolate and freeze then eat your wood will never get punky!

zap

Not enough meat on them for me!

Great pics quads. Gives desk jockeys like me something to drool at.

Status
Not open for further replies.