The Beauty of Heating With Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never counted splits a day. I try to split mine 4 or 5 inch and 16 or 17 inches long.
I'll guess a cold Saturday or Sunday I use 15. I'm going to count tomorrow==c got me wondering now.
I use 18-20 depending on size, I suppose if I threw 4 huge ones in at a time I could cut down on the number of splits, but I'd be burning the same amount of wood.

I load diagonally in it for a couple of splits during the day if my eye and the chainsaw got it wrong. But no way you are loading a tight night load in the bad boy diagonally. It is exactly 23 inches from the back wall of the stove to "outside" the front of the firebox. You might get one that long in there crooked. But not behind it or in front of it.

I load diagonally in it for a couple of splits during the day if my eye and the chainsaw got it wrong.

Being that I mostly scrounge my wood, I have a good amount of monster splits that I have to burn diagonally like that. I usually save them for small 3-4 split loads. I load 2-3 on the bottom than the one monster on top diagonally. Sometimes I'll shove a second shorter split running parallel with the monster, but never two monsters.

But no way you are loading a tight night load in the bad boy diagonally
You're right Bart, you proved me wrong. Enjoy your win. I will continue to not load my stove the way i have been. Granted I don't stop to measure every single split length and width. I guess in a court of law I would loose the case but in this forum we are splitting hairs not wood.

Reactions: Snotrocket
The room with the 30 in it is regularly at 80 degrees. Sometimes higher. But 80 is nice.

I load mostly E/W. I can pack the stove tighter that way.

And boy is the 30 rocking tonight. E/W load with big block splits. Sitting at 675 with the controls "closed."

My wood is close to the house. Once I get the living room hot enough, I could go get a load of wood in my boxers and some slippers. :) The fire really makes me appreciate the cold. As long as you've got somewhere to go that will warm you to the bones, your core can handle a few minutes of cooling outside, and it really feels nice.

Sauna routine. Get the sauna up to @ 180 or 190 deg, sit in there and bake for 10 minutes, then out onto the deck for a short cool down. Repeat. On a calm snowy night @ -5 or -10 deg it's fantastic.

Sounds like all is well. Also watched the neighbor take 200 gals of oil this morning, hmm, 200 x 3.75 is uh...a crap load of money.
That is awful for him. I bet that's why he doesn't have a stove.

I burn 10 splits a couple small rounds a small bundle of kindling and 10-12 branches and a few scraps of lumber. Never burn any pressure treated though. Heats my house all day and night. I throw an occasional pair of shoes in the stove too. Or old magazine ,foot stool , baseball bat , wooden spoons but nothing over 34inches long.

Status
Not open for further replies.