The best woodburner's compliment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
We had some neighborhood families over for dinner tonight. Some of the kids are at our house often after school, but the parents had never come over in the winter. After dinner the adults were talking, as we are wont to do, and one of the moms was telling us that, before they came over, her daughter was explaining that it was really warm over there, so don't layer up too much!

It made my night! It was about 20F today, and 72 in the house (80 in the stove room.)

I'm sure most of you have had this comment, and know what I'm talking about!

It makes all the effort worth it!

Most people I know tell friends to wear a decent t-shirt under their sweater, so they can peel layers. A lot of them struggle for 65 degrees when it’s below zero, and our place just cruises along at 70-75. They all spend a fair amount of each visit discussing the difference between how our house feels, compared to their gas heated house. I just sit back and smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the grips of winter I occasionally have a few dinners / drink nights here with 4 of my neighbors, its hard to get them to leave when the outside temps dip below 15, I usually loose a bottle of wine and 2 neighbors to the stove room in the basement for an hour or so, I guess that's how long it takes to defrost when your in your 50's?

A few years ago I was the only person in my family with heat after an ice storm, so relatives piled in. My 90 yo grandfather found the room with the stove and only left it when nature called, or there was food. Lol.

We had some neighborhood families over for dinner tonight. Some of the kids are at our house often after school, but the parents had never come over in the winter. After dinner the adults were talking, as we are wont to do, and one of the moms was telling us that, before they came over, her daughter was explaining that it was really warm over there, so don't layer up too much!

It made my night! It was about 20F today, and 72 in the house (80 in the stove room.)

Shh, don't let the word get out, I don't want any more competition for the neighborhood wood than I already have...

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
My house has a lot of open space, and very drafty walls, windows and doors. With my current set up it's warm in the loft and in front of the heater, other than that I still need a layer or two.
Hopefully one day I'll have that remedied.

Shh, don't let the word get out, I don't want any more competition for the neighborhood wood than I already have...

Ha. Most folks who don't already heat with wood probably don't want to (or physically cannot) go through the aggravation associated with heating with wood. I think that many just want the heat to be there, just like electricity or water. I (and many others here, I'm sure) enjoy the collection and burning processes.

As an aside, I've experienced this effect. My inlaws thought the warmth was wonderful. Of course, since I moved my fire from the basement stove to a fireplace upstairs, my dad (who has used a basement stove for 31 years) complains that my floors are cold. Can't please everyone I suppose.

Yep, warm is good :)

Ha. Most folks who don't already heat with wood probably don't want to (or physically cannot) go through the aggravation associated with heating with wood. I think that many just want the heat to be there, just like electricity or water. I (and many others here, I'm sure) enjoy the collection and burning processes.

As an aside, I've experienced this effect. My inlaws thought the warmth was wonderful. Of course, since I moved my fire from the basement stove to a fireplace upstairs, my dad (who has used a basement stove for 31 years) complains that my floors are cold. Can't please everyone I suppose.
You are right. But, when the see all your stacks, they'll just figure they can ask you for some...

Reactions: gregbesia

Yeah...had some relatives over yesterday when it was in the 20's, but didn't have the insert burning. I noticed my mother in-law and my older uncle were both chilly. I sprang into action and cranked up the HI300 and within about 45 minutes everyone had moved into the living room and the insert became the conversation for the next hour or so. It's great when you hear comments like, "wow...that really kicks out some heat," or "wish we had one of those, I wouldn't leave the house all winter." You can't beat wood heat on a cold winter's day!

A few years ago I was the only person in my family with heat after an ice storm, so relatives piled in. My 90 yo grandfather found the room with the stove and only left it when nature called, or there was food. Lol.

*If* I make it to 90, this will be me. In your stove room. Please provide bourbon. Thank you. :)

Reactions: diverscale
You are right. But, when the see all your stacks, they'll just figure they can ask you for some...

I had assumed that would be the case, especially for people who knew that the stacks outside are overflow from my woodshed, and not my whole supply. So far I haven't had anyone come asking in the three years I've lived here. And my dad only had those requests a few times in three decades.