The BIG question, Indoors or Out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon boys, you know I love ya. I just want you to admit..... with your busy little fingers..... how and why your opinion is so skewed, that's all.
I had to laugh at one of your pony poster posts suggesting his opinion, 'not' to ban me! for my opinion, Thats funny!
You guys are good!
This site might actually fool some new internet people into thinnking it's an unbiased source of information!! Jokes on them!

No this is where smart people come for diverse information, well mostly smart people there is always the exception.

My favorite set up: Indoor Wood Gasification Boiler installed in an attached boiler room at grade level. If thermal storage is being incorporated the storage can be in the basement(best) or in the boiler room alternatively. If the boiler must be located away from the main structure then a outside structure works great. It's nice in this case to build it big enough to hold a weeks worth or more of wood. The popular Gassers if installed and run properly are very safe.

When we think of wood heating sustainably we want systems that are efficient. Many of us have a bounty of available wood, why not burn as little as we can. If you still want to cut a heap of wood, Great, you can sell all the extra.

I'm ashamed of how slow the USA has moved toward sustainable energy production. I don't need explanations, I know there are many.
It feels good to move forward sometimes. I love the outdoors and the trees. It's nice to take care of the resource.

USA-1 said:
C'mon boys, you know I love ya. I just want you to admit..... with your busy little fingers..... how and why your opinion is so skewed, that's all.
I had to laugh at one of your pony poster posts suggesting his opinion, 'not' to ban me! for my opinion, Thats funny!
You guys are good!
This site might actually fool some new internet people into thinnking it's an unbiased source of information!! Jokes on them!

Sorry but the jokes on you. I can back up any thing I've said on here so why don't you do the same. Tell us who these (pony posters) are and what companies they represent and how you know. I think that any of the dealer reps and company reps that have posted here have been up front and they have given VERY helpful info to people. Just what are your QUALIFICATIONS so we all can evaluate your coments?????????????????????
leaddog.

Having recently begun compiling wood burning regulations for my site, it is clear that the older OWB technology is on its way out. That is why you see many of these companies coming out with units with secondary burn. Opinions aside, that is just the reality of the current climate surrounding these units.

My father has run a heatmor OWB for the last ten years and I have run a Tarm gasser for the last four. I can attest first hand to the difference in the amount of wood these things burn. We have a lot of wood on our property, but not an endless supply. That is why I chose a gasser. He plans to run his OWB as long as it will last and then replace it with a gasser. We already built a shed over the OWB that is open on one side so that he can be out of the wind, snow/rain, etc. when loading and his wood can stay drier. The interesting thing was that when we compared the cost of unit and install our systems cost the same. Only I burn about 1/6 the amount of wood he does...

I think buying US is actually a valid issue. Garn, Econoburn, and WoodGun are all US products. It has taken the US a little longer to wake up to this technology and if we want to see it stay and flourish here, then we should support it. When I bought mine I thought importing one was the only option (and it nearly was). I believe I would have been just as happy with an Econoburn (they weren't on the market yet) and have gotten as good a product from them. I cannot fit a Garn on my property (strict zoning here) or that would have been a good option too.

I hope that some of these OWB companies do get their secondary combustion units worked out, but some of them don't seem to realize that steel can't hold up to a 2k flame... For now those who want a boiler outside the house can just build a shed and run a gasser in it.

And for the record, I am not affiliated in any way with any company that sells boilers or anything associated with them and I cut wood every weekend year round. I do this for the exercise and the enjoyment of being outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.