The BMF has landed!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flatbedford said:
Maybe Jags knows better than me.

And he could just be a crazy coot with a double ear infection and is whacked out on pain meds. True story.

Nawww...cast is a fickle mother. It can handle some stresses better than others. Pressure points is not one of them.

Jags said:
Flatbedford said:
Maybe Jags knows better than me.

And he could just be a crazy coot with a double ear infection and is whacked out on pain meds. True story.

Nawww...cast is a fickle mother. It can handle some stresses better than others. Pressure points is not one of them.

Which is why I was thinking about putting the washer in there to relieve the point pressure of the lock washer on the hole in the casting. I was concerned about a rigid plate material for the exact reason you state--didn't want to create imbalance and stress points. So, ya think a semi-flexible fender type washer is best? It would be more likely to form to the surface, wouldn't it?

Texas boy said:
So, ya think a semi-flexible fender type washer is best? It would be more likely to form to the surface, wouldn't it?

IF I was going to use a washer, yes, that is probably the route I would go.

There really should be no reason to add anything. That bolt doesn't do anything (or shouldn't do anything) other than just "hold" it there. A number 10 machine screw could do the same job assuming that zero side pressure was ever applied.

That "plinth" is looking better all the time.

BrotherBart said:
That "plinth" is looking better all the time.

Yep, if you don't need/want that ash pan that everyone harassed them about for so long. It would seem that they'd come out with a redesign on the leg. Something more vintage, which is what I was hoping they'd do with the whole stove, but alas! The could make just one leg per side and make it a nice heavy duty piece exending from front to back and still leave the front open for the ash pan. It could be nicely cast with vegetation or other classic stuff and look really nice. I just really like the old stuff. I guess that's why you and I get along so well, Bart! ROFL!

Yep. We get along pretty well for a couple of guys that have howdied but haven't shook.

Status
Not open for further replies.