The boots are drying by the fire...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy

Oct 8, 2008
Lakes Region, NH
Worked outside all day, in the driving rain, getting everybody's "summer toys", a.k.a. - Boats - put away, shrinkwrapped, etc.

About 3:30, started thinking about a ripping fire in the stove, and by 5:30 it was a reality.

Stove top is now at 525, boots and jackets are roasting...beer in hand...Come to think of it...This day wasn't that bad after all :coolgrin:

Since everyone is interested in saving money today, or at least avoiding unnecessary expenses, please allow me the following observation:

I don't know anything about boats, but I do know boots - and putting them next to a stove (or any heat source) to dry out is probably the absolute worst thing you can do to them. Almost every component - leather, plastics, glues, rubber - all will deteriorate at any sustained temperature much over 120 deg. - a temperature easily reached due to radiant heat causing an object to become considerably warmer than the surrounding air. Quite literally, they will cook.

Mark

Ah yes, but to dry insides of boots and/or felts, it works great.

One of the best for drying insides of boots are the little soapstone blocks that Woodstock sells. We keep them on top of the stove and when needed, just place them inside of a pair of boots or shoes...or even a pair of leather gloves. Works great. They also work great for placing pots and pans on to keep from scratching the top of the stove.

And the beer in the hand by a warm fire makes for a cozy place indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.