The Caddy Advanced is finally on PSG's site...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes it is, high efficiency gas furnace.

Thanks,

Nicolas
Nick, how will it work? Will the LP kick in when the fire is too low as a supplement and then shut down when the firebox is back up to temp? Or is it more of a one or the other setup?

Nick, how will it work? Will the LP kick in when the fire is too low as a supplement and then shut down when the firebox is back up to temp? Or is it more of a one or the other setup?
Kind of, using one thermostat for each heat source. Typically, people set the gas thermostat few degrees lower then the wood one. This way, if wood can keep up the gas furnace will take over.

Thanks,

Makes sense. So, no issue with both running at once then? Sounds excellent.

I’m assuming you’ll be able to disable the furnaces independently? Say perhaps in the shoulder season you would operate the propane furnace and leave the wood furnace off. Although, I imagine if there are individual thermostats you could just turn the wood furnace thermostat way down low so that it never activates.

Reactions: SBI_Nick
Reactions: woodey
@SBI_Nick

Maybe Nick can update. I had called them about a month ago, and supposedly the Advanced CR is to be officially released in 2024….but I’ve heard that each year for a couple years. I’ve come to the conclusion that it happens when it happens. I’m guessing that they’ve run into some problems with development and testing.

Keep in mind, this will be the only combination furnace in the world that conforms to current EPA standards. Likely the last one ever. Tells you how difficult it is and I’m sure it’s made the majority of companies think it’s not worth pursuing.

It’s possible that they had to do the same monkey dance that Lamppa had to do recently, since this is considered an entirely different furnace from the Caddy Advanced I believe. Nick can confirm.

Thread is back from the dead.

Caddy Advanced CR is now available! But as a wood/electric combo only as of now (obviously still capable as add-on as well). Price only went up about $750 which I don’t think is bad at all for those that want to entertain electric backup.

I just noticed that the other day and was wondering why no gas combo...

I just noticed that the other day and was wondering why no gas combo...
I actually called them about a month ago. They told me that they’re releasing the wood/electric in March first, then the wood/gas at an unknown future date. I guess the hang up is on the propane end. They are cooperating with another manufacturer for the propane side of things and there’s delays with them, not PSG.

Hopefully it’ll be ready for the next heating season. I can’t wait any longer.

Reactions: usernametaken
Correction: the CR is not only $750 more than the Advanced. The base cost is +$750, then you add the electric element which is $1379.

So in the combo, it’s about $2100 more. That’s high but maybe the gas will be cheaper? However, that’s probably about the same cost as adding an electric furnace in parallel through ductwork.

The footprint isn’t too much bigger than the original. About +12”W, +15”D, and +13”H. Not bad for two furnaces in one.

With gov't rebates it would probably be cheaper to just install a Mr Cool heat pump along with an EPA approved wood furnace. A heat pump is a heck of lot more efficient at turning a kW of energy into heat than a resistance heater is.

Last edited:
With gov't rebates it would probably be cheaper to just install a Mr Cool heat pump along with an EPA approved wood furnace. A heat pump is a heck of lot more efficient at turning a kW of energy into heat than a resistance heater is.
Agreed. The wood/electric combo is a hard sell for many, especially in the US Northeast, where we have the highest electric rates in the country. The wood/propane is where most people would be interested if they are in the market for a combo furnace

Reactions: woodey and sloeffle
Update for us few folks waiting for the Advanced CR:

Unfortunately, I may have some bad news. I called up PSG‘s technical support to ask for updates, and it appears that plans have changed for the gas option. SBI will no longer offer Gas and Wood furnace in the same housing as originally thought. Apparently this is due to two reasons: 1) code restrictions about two sources of fuel, sharing the same housing (not sure why they are discovering this now) and 2) The propane manufacturer is no longer offering the compatible parts to make it happen.

However, SBI will still plan to offer a side propane unit to complement the advanced CR. You can see it as the 8th photo here:

I’m not totally sure how this is different than a series installation of two furnaces and whether the CR will even be required to use the propane side furnace. There’s still some clarity needed but everything supposedly will be on market by June.

This is unfortunate for us space-restricted folks. Maybe @SBI_Nick can add some clarification and answer some questions?