the chimney passes, now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
chimney guy came out today while i was at work and took a looksee. says the masonry fireplace/chimney looks great but recommended a liner (wood stove) and quoted $2500. he told my wife, however, that a wood stove & liner was a bad idea since we rent and can't take the liner out. i'm not sure if he was putting the hard sell on the pellet stove or what since i wasn't there. if anyone can tell me one way or another for sure, that'd be great. or, if i can install a much cheaper system (maybe myself even) and it won't matter if i have to leave it behind.

time to start measuring...

i dont know for sure but insurance reasons i didnt think you could burn wood anway,
but i could be wrong depends on where you live i guess
ask your landlord
but if you can work something out with the landlord do it!
burn the wood man. pellet stoves are nice but alot of moving parts and electrical compared to wood stove ya know.

why can't you take it with you? Liner just pulls out and the stove just picks up (with a few guys)

Def talk with your landlord if you haven't already.
Especially since you need a permit to install a wood stove in most areas (I live in the absolute middle of no where and you still need one). His insurance company will also need to know there's a wood stove burning and may get a rate increase.

Welcome to the forum toonces.

Installing a stove and liner when renting could be touchy. For sure you have to get the landlord's permission to install but if you move, the liner will stay and you are out those dollars. Also realize that if you put in a wood stove now, you probably will not be able to get any good wood to burn. That is because generally it takes a year after wood is split and stacked before it is dry enough to burn. Wood sellers, of course, will tell you it is okay to burn their wood as it is seasoned. Don't believe it! 99% of them sell wood that was cut and split recently and not a year ago. Some will say the tree has been down for a year or more but wood won't dry in tree or log form. It needs to be cut to firewood length and split then stacked out in the wind to dry. So, if you install a stove now, you will have some problems and the worst will be creosote problems. Plus, you'll have trouble getting the fire to burn right; a terrible mess.

I am not trying to turn you off from burning wood but people have to realize that wood as fuel is much different from gas or oil. With gas or oil, you can install a new stove then order the fuel. That doesn't work worth a hoot with wood.

Good luck.

Backwoods Savage said:
Welcome to the forum toonces.

Installing a stove and liner when renting could be touchy. For sure you have to get the landlord's permission to install but if you move, the liner will stay and you are out those dollars. Also realize that if you put in a wood stove now, you probably will not be able to get any good wood to burn. That is because generally it takes a year after wood is split and stacked before it is dry enough to burn. Wood sellers, of course, will tell you it is okay to burn their wood as it is seasoned. Don't believe it! 99% of them sell wood that was cut and split recently and not a year ago. Some will say the tree has been down for a year or more but wood won't dry in tree or log form. It needs to be cut to firewood length and split then stacked out in the wind to dry. So, if you install a stove now, you will have some problems and the worst will be creosote problems. Plus, you'll have trouble getting the fire to burn right; a terrible mess.

I am not trying to turn you off from burning wood but people have to realize that wood as fuel is much different from gas or oil. With gas or oil, you can install a new stove then order the fuel. That doesn't work worth a hoot with wood.

Good luck.

wow, way to be a buzzkill. :d

<3
very true though.

your reality check is completely appreciated and, honestly, expected. this was supposed to be a summer project and i've been realizing that it'd probably be best to take my time, do it right, AND save $$$ in the 'off season'. as i began to research this stuff little-by-little, the details started to pop out and it's becoming quite a task to organize. especially the hoops i'll have to jump through as a renter. luckily, my landlord is on board but i'll have to talk to the insurance company and the city. at least one part is out of the way. i'm just super-eager to stop filling the oil tank every month in the winter while paying the electric company the other half of my paycheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.