The Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Last week the Chimney Sweep came out and cleaned our system, but I told you that already.

I noticed (even before he came) that after Hurricane Irene, the Chimney seemed to be leaning slightly (3º or so, perhaps) to the West, which would have been consistent with the way the wind was blowing during the first part of the storm.

After the Chimney Sweep came out, I noted that the Cap itself was re-mounted more parallel with the top of the roof line, further accentuating the appearance of a slight lean to the Chimney itself.

Sunday I went up in the crawl-space attic (no small feat) and examined the chimney. I noted a very slight (what appeared to be) mis-alignment of one of the threaded screw locations (however many there are around the chimney, I dunno.......perhaps 4 or 6?) where there was a slight gap of about 3/8 of an inch in length and perhaps .200 in width. The two metal strips that were used to anchor and center the chimney between two of the rafters, were secure. If anything, I'd say that there was a slight Northward lean to the pipe, at perhaps a 5º angle.

Let me ask these questions:

A) Is the gray pipe that I could see and touch in the attic crawl space, (I know I have double-wall flue pipe, and the segments I saw before installation were black; not gray), a heat shield?

B) If it is a heat shield, is there any play or floating between the black flue pipe and the heat shield, or are
they a glove fit?

-Soupy1957

P.S. Obviously, if the Chimney Sweep (a man I trust) had seen anything that was worthy of review, I'm
sure he would tell me, and we have talked about his impressions of what he saw. (He admitted to me,
by the way, that he DIDN'T go into the narrow crawl space in the attic, all the way to the pipe itself,
but got up on the ladder at the opening to the attic and simply "looked over there"). He indicated that
there was nothing that he "saw" that concerned him.

If, and you should, you have double wall pipe in the attic then what you are seeing is probably a insulation shield. Is it square or circular? The purpose for the sheild is to be able to replace insulation around your chimney providing the necessary distance to avoid a fire hazard. Mine is square and it is mounted on the floor of the attic around the double wall flu.

Circular gray. There is a square frame that the gray circular piping goes thru in the attic, between the joists of the ceiling of the living room; and exits the roof thru a round hole, being held in place by a round baffle.

-Soupy1957

Hmmm, i'm lost now. maybe a quick picture would be better?? I would still guess that this is an insulation shield of some sort.....

The only way we can be certain is with a decent picture or two of the flue assembly in the attic. Above the roof pic would help too. How many feet of pipe would you estimate there are from the roof to the top of the flue?

BeGreen: I would estimate about 2.5 feet............from the outside roof to the top of the cap. I'm fairly near the peak.

I figured that someone would say "take a few pictures," and I frankly wasn't looking forward to that. This tired old body had a tough time climbing in there on Sunday..........it's a pain. I'll see if I can coax myself to do it.

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
BeGreen: I would estimate about 2.5 feet............from the outside roof to the top of the cap. I'm fairly near the peak.

I figured that someone would say "take a few pictures," and I frankly wasn't looking forward to that. This tired old body had a tough time climbing in there on Sunday..........it's a pain. I'll see if I can coax myself to do it.

-Soupy1957
Never mind I had a link to one but did not post as a clickable.

Weezer4117 (I admit to being curious about your username's meaning........lol) Yeah, sorta kinda.

Here's what my Chimney Sweep said, in answer to my query on this topic:

"The gray tube is the outer section of the chimney and is not the part the
flue gases and smoke go through. The chimney should be able to flex
slightly as the house and roof move so as not to cause stress on the
chimney pipe connections. I do not know why the chimney is leaning, but
the inner sections of the chimney pipe are connected otherwise they would
come apart during sweeping."

-Soupy1957

[quote author="soupy1957" date="1318383089"]Weezer4117 (I admit to being curious about your username's meaning........lol) Yeah, sorta kinda

Since you asked!! I got the nickname "weezer" along time ago on a family vacation in Ft. Walton Beach Florida. We went with 3 other families. One night while the adults were enjoying some drinks one of the fathers asked me to get him a beer out of the fridge. From the other side of the condo I yelled "what kind do you want-coors, bud light, or budweezer"! Every since if I have held onto the nickname "Weezer"

Glad to hear the report came back fine. How far does the chimney stick up above the roof? Is there a brace on it?

pen

Somebody please tell me that the statement by the sweep isn't a crock. If this house "moves" enough to make Class A lean I better be seeing cracked Sheetrock all over the joint. And inferring "An area I didn't inspect has to be alright because the whole thing didn't fall apart when I brushed it."? Gimme a break. The inside joint of that pipe moves exactly like the outside layer does. They are bonded together at the top and bottom of the sections. They don't "float".

soupy1957 said:

-Soupy1957

Let's hope the installer did it right and it's actually 3 ft to the top of the pipe, not the cap. Pictures of what's happening in the attic are going to be essential to continue this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.