The cost of heating a house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDawg

Hearth Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
Central NH
When I purchased my home in central NH back in 85 I had vintage 1930's cooking stove attached to the chimney in the kitchen. So I did some research and started
buying coal. After a couple of years my wife got sick of the ugly stove in the kitchen (and the stink of the coal) so I bought a Consolidated Duthwest wood stove. I can
still remember picking it up in Plymouth Ma with my father. In the mid 90's we were doing some remodeling so I sold the wood stove and bought a propane stove.
The cost of propane at the time was about .90 a gallon. It was time to replace that propane stove this year so I replaced it with a Jotul Rangeley. I went back to
wood for 2 reasons, I missed burning wood and the price of propane which is about 3.50 a gallon. My question is why in New England is propane 3.50 a gallon when in Iowa
it's $1.75. It can't be all transportation cost ?

PDawg said:
When I purchased my home in central NH back in 85 I had vintage 1930's cooking stove attached to the chimney in the kitchen. So I did some research and started
buying coal. After a couple of years my wife got sick of the ugly stove in the kitchen (and the stink of the coal) so I bought a Consolidated Duthwest wood stove. I can
still remember picking it up in Plymouth Ma with my father. In the mid 90's we were doing some remodeling so I sold the wood stove and bought a propane stove.
The cost of propane at the time was about .90 a gallon. It was time to replace that propane stove this year so I replaced it with a Jotul Rangeley. I went back to
wood for 2 reasons, I missed burning wood and the price of propane which is about 3.50 a gallon. My question is why in New England is propane 3.50 a gallon when in Iowa

Propane is just about that high in Ohio last time I checked. Lucky for me I haven't filled the tank in years and it's still sitting on 80%. You know thinking about it it's probably the only investment I have made in the last 7 years that has appreciated, guess it's kind of like liquid gold.....lol

Could be the old "supply and demand"? Or, could be the opposite, if not enough people in the area buy it, they charge more. That is what happened to my dad at his "weekend" property in a rural area of Kentucky. He is having trouble getting propane delivered because not many people in the area are using it anymore. They told him it is not worth the fuel to get it there unless he buys more than his tanks holds.

Propane is really high here. It's called a captive market, with little competition so they charge what the market can bear. They do the same thing with gasoline in spite of us having a close by refinery. First all the mom and pop independents were either put out of business or bought up until there were only a few major suppliers. And then the prices started to rise and rise.

Can't comment on the price of Propane - except that it is expensive - yikes!

But - I think you got a GREAT woodstove. Keep us posted on it's performance and how you like it.

Good luck,
Bill

PDawg said:

Hello

Propane is not cheap here!

But please tell me how your Jotul Rangeley heats compared to your Consolidated Duchwest? I had a FA288CCL Vermont Castings Large Cast Iron Catalytic Combustor Consolidated Dutchwest Federal design wood/Coal Stove purchased in 1990. It is a very popular stove but I thought I was not getting enough heat from it even with the blower! Now I have an Avalon Astoria Pellet Stove and I am very happy with the heat output!!

Attachments

• VCDutchWestWoodCoalsc.jpg
    VCDutchWestWoodCoalsc.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 251
Status
Not open for further replies.