The day before it SNOWed here, I saw something I don't recall seeing before . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

I run a GreenWood, which is one of many brands of Naturally aspirated refractory mass wood hydronic units. Since it has yet to get below 26 overnight, and generally gets back to 50 during the day, my heat demand has yet to really kick in. Though the manual forbids it, I have been burning Hemlock slab wood. I use the thickest pieces I can, I criscross the direction every layer, and I try to not over load.

Anyway . . . the other night as I got ready to load for the overnight . . . there was a bed of hemlock coals, burned down so they were below the air inlet holes at the back of the combustion chamber. I had turned the aquastat up to 190+ so the damper would stay o[en during loading. The water was ~190 . . . I have a magnetice pipe thermometer on the the first pipe after th elbow coming of the GW, and it was up around 350 (usually runs much lower) Anyhow, I looked into the box, and back where the water tubes make a 90 and go down the back of the GW, there was this . . .fire-ball (?) that was burning blue flame with little specks of yellow. This fireball was not connected to any flame coming off the solid fuel in the combustion chamber. I would take this to have been some textbook gasification going on. I actually left the door open and watched if for a minute before I finally put a new load of fuel in and went to bed.

I'm sure the GW has been doing this often, but I have never actually seen this before. I really was pretty cool. Not as cool as October snow - can it be long before the slopes are open? %-P - but cool none the less :cheese:

Got yourself some good ol' woodgas! :)

I opened the door of my homemade downdraft the other day while it was idling..... A large cloud of smoke rolled out and then, POOF! the whole firebox and about 2ft out from the door lit up into one big flame! Went right out, but kind of startling to say the least! :)

I've had a "gas ball" come out of the intake of my Seton. I'd rather have them in the firebox, though.
But I don't want 350 deg! At the supply side? How long did it stay at that temp? Yikes.

deerefanatic said:
Got yourself some good ol' woodgas! :)

I opened the door of my homemade downdraft the other day while it was idling..... A large cloud of smoke rolled out and then, POOF! the whole firebox and about 2ft out from the door lit up into one big flame! Went right out, but kind of startling to say the least! :)

Still got your eyebrows?

Chris

Oh yah..... That was fun! :) LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.