The door gasket is starting to come off...How do I fix it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 19, 2008
NY
The gasket around the door of my stove is starting to pull/come off the door. I have a hearthstone homestead and This is my first season with it. So its less then a 8 months old. The rope looking gasket goes around the door and meets itself. Well one end of it is loose. About 4 inches of it pulled away. When the stove was cool I gently pushed it back in the channel in the door the gasket sits in but its coming out again. How do I fix this problem??? If it would help just ask and I will post some pictures...

They make a special gasket cement for stoves or you can use muffler cement.

High temp silicone works great.

Seems odd that this would be happening after such a short time. I guess I will go back to where I got the stove to see if they have any gasket cement.

Hogwildz said:
Not for me. It didn't stand up to the heat.

LLigetfa said:
Hogwildz said:
Not for me. It didn't stand up to the heat.

Haven't had that problem in two gasket changes.
In fact I know of at least one one manufacturer that uses is and haven't heard any problems.
If its behind the gasket it won't burn. Yes anything that protrudes out does, but that is about it.
I have used both, and I like the HT silicone better. Thats just my preference, to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.