The E 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Ok, so I'm at Home Depot today, and decided to check out the stove area. Still on display, but no markdowns. :mad:
I wasn't in there for that anyway, so...........
Had my handy dandy tape measure with me, so decided to check out the firebox on the 30.
N/S, I got 19" with a couple inches to spare for air flow, I think it was 18" e/w
(maybe 19), then about 12" to just under the burn tubes.
By my calcs, that's 2.63 usable space.
My firebox is 16" N/S with a couple inches to spare for airflow, 22" E/W, and about 12" to just under the baffle plate.
2.44 cu ft.
I also know that there is no way to fill every little nook and cranny in there (although I DO try), so WTH?
I thought the 30's firebox was 3.5 cu. ft.?! I'm beginning to think the 30 may not be enough for my house in the cold we've been having for a good chunk of this winter. I know my current stove isn't.
What say ye? Brother Bart, pen, others?
Sorry, not really a question, more of an observation mixed with a little disappointment. Maybe consternation.

I get 2.375 on your first measurements. Hmmmm how can the advertised be that far off the actual. My Magnolia says 3.2 and without being there to actually measure I think its close to 2.3 or so. Way smaller than the book says.

You're right. WTH? I musta' hit a wrong key or something.
Dang, if that's the case..........wow. I'm screwed.
I thought the 30 was going to be my savior. The plan for insulation is going to the forefront,....again.
I really dislike roller coasters.

Well what does the Ashley actually measure? Same as your sig?

My Endeavor advertises 2.2 but that's far from usable space. Usable space is 18x18x10ish, that's less than 1.9. Highbeam made a thread on this a while back and this is pretty common. I'm pretty sure this is figured off air space not space you can use. When I'm measuring anything over 18" n/s I consider it a waste since I'll never cut wood longer than 18". Highbeam "how big is your stove" thread

Ideal firebox for me is 18"n/s, 23/24" e/w and 12" or so tall.

rdust said:
My Endeavor advertises 2.2 but that's far from usable space. Usable space is 18x18x10ish, that's less than 1.9. Highbeam made a thread on this a while back and this is pretty common. I'm pretty sure this is figured off air space not space you can use. When I'm measuring anything over 18" n/s I consider it a waste since I'll never cut wood longer than 18". Highbeam "how big is your stove" thread

Ideal firebox for me is 18"n/s, 23/24" e/w and 12" or so tall.

Ah yes, usable space. I don't usually go over the top of the firebrick, which is about 9", and if I take out the space used for ashes, it's even less.
My mind is starting to wander into BKK territory. :lol: Seems absurd for a 1200ish sq. ft. sized space.

Come to think of it the way my Magnolia holds coals I'm lucky if I have .5cuft of space. Reloads are 3 small-medium splits on top of 6-8" coals/ash at any one time. And if I unload the coals and load up 6-9 splits then I can't damper the sucker down enough.
The BKK is real intriging but I would examine carefully before dulling out the big ones. Long burn yes, but more real heat?????

wkpoor said:
The BKK is real intriging but I would examine carefully before dulling out the big ones. Long burn yes, but more real heat?????

I'm thinking of a BK Princess and I don't think I'll do that much better during the teens or single digit weather(larger firebox will help some) but in the shoulder season I think it'll really shine when you don't need the high heat. If you have to burn on high to heat your space CAT or non CAT in a similar sized stove will be about the same.

The super tight, well insulated homes up north benefit from the BK more so than my house. Mines a bit drafty and needs more insulation, so I'm not overgunned with the BKK. For the last couple of weeks, I've changed my burning practices and am pleased. But that means smaller, hotter fires, and more frequent loadings. If I was in a 1200 sq.ft., moderatly insulated house, in a long, cold winter area, I'd not hesitate to put in a King. I'm keeping approx. 1400 sq.ft warm right now( house is 2300, but I closed off a area), and even down to -31.4, I was over 70 °F. When the weather warms up, I'll be able to turn the T-stat down, reduce the heat out-put, and enjoy longer spans between re-loads.

Beetle-Kill said:
I'm keeping approx. 1400 sq.ft warm right now( house is 2300, but I closed off a area), and even down to -31.4, I was over 70 °F.

-31 is unthinkable cold for me! It was -3 or -4 last night/this morning and that was the coldest of the year here. I would imagine your elevation doesn't help matters any either.

My cold vs. your cold is different. The RH makes all the difference. -31 up here sounds a lot worse than you think. It's not that bad, unless you're outside. %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.