The Elm Stove...legit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do a search. Folks who have Elms have posted lots of stuff in the past here. Not exactly a "main stream" stove, more of a niche market, but there are plenty of very satisfied and devoted Elm owners/burners out there, and they have been discussed here many times. Rick

Can you even get the in the US anymore?

From the link you provided (read all about it and then come back and tell us):

"This website is the most comprehensive online resource for The Elm wood stove."

I did...it appears as though you can't. I guess I should restate that:

Is there anywhere in the US that sells these as a remanufactured stove?

I did...it appears as though you can't. I guess I should restate that:

Is there anywhere in the US that sells these as a remanufactured stove?

I'm pretty sure they are still available. You need to contact Steve directly via the email address or phone number at the bottom of the homepage.

Reactions: Kool_hand_Looke
Steve makes each stove himself. There are no dealers. Get in touch with him. Sandra Bullock's ex Jessie James bought one. ;lol

Be sure you have adequate runway to land one of these before ordering.

These stoves in theory are remanufactured and improved. They dont have current EPA certification as they are "used" stoves, The owner has made many improvements to efficiency. so they arent necessarily dirty burning, its just that the cost to certify the design to current standards would not support the number off stoves purchased. I expect they there are very few if any original components in the actual stove

Steve has gone back and forth on certification. Mostly back because of the cost and that each variant would have to be certified. Even if they were all new if he sells less than fifty a year he doesn't have to get them certified.

Let's keep personal political opinion out of the thread or it is heading for the can. Cast iron stoves are plentiful and thriving. VCs problems are from having too many owners trying to milk the name and not continuing the quality of the original product. Other cast iron stove makers have dealt with regs well and have great stoves as I suggested a few postings back in the Defiant thread. Remember that the current EPA regs for stoves are going on 25 yrs old now.

I deleted the posts. They don't address the OP's question and added nothing to the thread.

All I know...is that Defiant video on YouTube scares the crap out of me. You know the one, with little explosions. Sounds like a lot of people have that issue.

Let's keep personal political opinion out of the thread or it is heading for the can. Cast iron stoves are plentiful and thriving. VCs problems are from having too many owners trying to milk the name and not continuing the quality of the original product. Other cast iron stove makers have dealt with regs well and have great stoves as I suggested a few postings back in the Defiant thread. Remember that the current EPA regs for stoves are going on 25 yrs old now.
By "owners" do you mean company leadership?

They have gone thru 5(?) owners in a couple decades.

One more post of a deleted post and the thread is closed.

They have gone thru 5(?) owners in a couple decades.
Good NIGHT.

Readers Digest, why? I'm not going to dig through the search block of why.

Are they publicly traded?

Yep. Good night. Whole different topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.