The first stove lighting of the year..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
Post your first fire..

I did mine this morning. Got the house down to 59 degrees this morning in the bedroom, with all the windows open in the house for 2 days.. Best sleeping weather ever.. I made breakfast for my wife and I on the Blackstone and sat in front of the fire and enjoyed ourselves watching the flames..

20220924_064725.jpg 20220924_080832.jpg

Hoping our first fire won't be for a month, but we will see. La Niña is still with us and I have already used the heatpump to chase away the chill on colder mornings.

Still not time to start a fire indoors. Nights have been in the 50s lately. Perfect weather for sitting around the chimnea Saturday nights with a few adult beverages.

Reactions: BirthofSerpents
There something about those first few fires of the season that feels so good. Cleaned the chimney a couple of days ago and have a little work to do on the stove before firing up. The heat pump will carry us but I expect that a chilly, rainy day will see the stove lit just for that feeling.

Reactions: dafattkidd
I know its early.. but its been so hot this summer. I couldn't wait to have a cool down and get some sweet pants on and a flannel shirt. Iv been chomping at the bit for over a month.. I still need to do my griddle and door gaskets.. It did feel good to sit by tje stove.. Its been over 4 months..

@Woodsplitter67, looks nice. I wanted to light mine up but decided to sweep the chimney yesterday instead. Looks like next weekend might be a good one too…I’m ready for it!

Lit the princess yesterday out in the shop, and just fired up the ashford here in the house today. SE Michigan.
I just bought a Ashford 30.2. Still waiting on delivery But thats okay because I am jacking a couple floor joists up just to be safe to carry the load. Their 2 1/4" by 8 " and 150 yrs old.

@Woodsplitter67, looks nice. I wanted to light mine up but decided to sweep the chimney yesterday instead. Looks like next weekend might be a good one too…I’m ready for it!

I swept mine in early may.. but I didn't clean out the stove .. I cleaned it and set it up friday when I got home from work just incase it was cool enough in the house.. I didn't run it long.. just long enough to enjoy it.. we left the windows open while the stove ran and on the backside of the burn when the stove was low on wood closed the window..

Reactions: ispinwool and Jmorg
I just bought a Ashford 30.2. Still waiting on delivery But thats okay because I am jacking a couple floor joists up just to be safe to carry the load. Their 2 1/4" by 8 " and 150 yrs old.
good idea, its a heavy bugger, you'll like the stove, I wouldn't have anything else

Never ever had a Sept. burn but last week had a rain day and was my first, probably not again (hopefully) until Halloween!

Reactions: ispinwool
I had the same question: what stove?

I like what @begreen asked me at some point: put your stove in your signature line.

Indeed: nice set up. Nice fire. I'm jealous. D*mn minisplit+solar that will carry the (free) day for a month or two more...

Reactions: Fod01
It looks good. Being central, the stove, the floor, and the natural stone - all very nice!

Reactions: Bobbob and marty319
Had our first fire last night. Rained most of the day and temps fell below 50 last night. Just burned long enough to get the dampness out. Gonna do the same tonight. One or two loads. It does however get hard to enjoy watching the flames cause my wife prefers to stand in front of the stove and slowcook

20220926_192930.jpg

Had our first fire last night. Rained most of the day and temps fell below 50 last night. Just burned long enough to get the dampness out. Gonna do the same tonight. One or two loads. It does however get hard to enjoy watching the flames cause my wife prefers to stand in front of the stove and slowcook
Still something enjoyable to watch, then...

Reactions: Bobbob and marty319