The Goose is cooked....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Well, at least the Turkey was!

A big thanks to Goose for holding a meetup of some Hearth.com members at his place in Eastern Ma. - the weather held out pretty well, and although we did not all jump in the pool, we hung out in the open air and shot the chit as well as split some wood. Elk was already black with furnace cement and chain oil when we arrived, having reworked a lot of that old Encore right before our eyes - but he made certain that he proved the Ryobi electric splitter could take on Rock Elm without breaking a sweat.

We got to see the Motoguzi or whatever that monster is - with a sidecar that seems designed for 1/2 cord of wood.

And we found out about the mead - Goose keeps beehives in the yard, and there ain't no honey jars around the place - instead, there is many years worth of special blends being constantly brewed and consumed.....good stuff, tasty - if I didn't have to drive home, it would be worth exploring what a couple full glasses would do. As it was, I had to limit myself since it is 3x as strong as stout beer.

Glad to meet Goose and the crew of folks who showed up - some pics will be posted by Goose.....I think perhaps he has nodded out for the night after feasting on his fried turkey as well as Mixed Fruit mead.

Elk was already black with furnace cement and chain oil when we arrived, having reworked a lot of that old Encore right before our eyes - but he made certain that he proved the Ryobi electric splitter could take on Rock Elm without breaking a sweat.

Web and mrs web arived about 3 hours after I did I had the Encore in the truck w on a piano dolly. I figured since most of the parts were going to be replaced it is nice to work shoulder height

TYhe other factors all parts removed made moving the 425 lb beast all that much easier Naturally reaching insode a stove one gets a bit dirty all bolts cam out as they should and I removed the uper and lower firebacks with ease sonce I had the right air dam plate and the original was cracked I removed that as well.

With all the discussions what a Pita it is to clean a cat combustor all will agree it took more time to find Gooses' shop vac than the actual re,=moval and re-insertion. J job that can be done in under 3 minutes for sure I also took off the plate and exposed the bimetalic controled secondary air for all to see exactly what has been discussed over and over Y The original Cat Combustor 20 years old is still in decent shape and does not need replacement That's right it lasted 20 years and all witnessed the condition no cracked or broken honey combs to it.

Well we rolled the stove down the planks with little effort. Man I love when a plan is well excuted

Web widow arrived with a nice looking blueberry pie At that time even she split a nasty piece

Correction the splitter is not a 4 ton Ryobi but a 16 ton Ram Splitter brand I could upgrade it to 20 tons but as witnessed it splits elm and what it susposed to split.

A few other things I brought for all to see a Bio brick,, My 1964 chain saw should have worked but I was going to take out the spark plug and ended up holding the boot in my hand.

It did fire a few seconds and with a little work I would have gotten it going But once the wire broke that was the ball game.

During the week goose was having problems with his chain saw He must be applying so much dodn pressure the grove is ridged on both sides the tip is that burnt black color..

On the other hand my 1964 saw still has the same bar. Goose needs to change his cutting habits and let the saw doo the work. I also recomended an Oregon chain and 14" bar for that Poulan.. In all fairness to Goose it also could be that cheap crap Home Cheapo sells But really bar and chain aught to last one season or 3 cords.

I really enjoyed meeting Kellog JP and Burning in love I had alread met Goose and Web and web widow before

Burning in love arrived as I was leaving I told him I was castiron but decided to come clean.

Harry I had to make an esape early, today is the Libertarian party for their presidential canidate.. I'm ok nobody was able to convert me

Webwidow arrives and see how dirty I was I showered before I headed North but working on styoves will do that to you. Web widow what did you expect?

To be honest I promised my wife to be home for company arriving. I had to leave before the turky was done. Jp and I shared a summer ale before I left.

Thats the only beberage or eats I had.. Thanks to all and special to Goose

Status
Not open for further replies.