The greatest book you will ever read, or listen, which your wife won't understand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Lots of outdoors types and hunters on this forum, and another recent thread reminded me of one of my favorite books:

Upland Autumn: Birds, Dogs, and Shotgun Shells, by William G. Tapply

A rare treat, the Audible audio book version of this book narrated by Clay Teunis is even better than reading it yourself. A great treat to listen in November, while splitting some wood, going over your guns, or preparing for a hunt.

Give it a read... or a listen. If you enjoy the outdoors, hunting, fishing, you won't be disappointed. Just don't expect your wife to "get it".

Reactions: RomanW
I know some women hunters, they run hounds and shoot too
My partner can outshoot most males I know, and she's a southpaw shooting right handed most of the time! I've got another two weeks until my school work starts back up, I may give this a listen on the way to and from work.

You guys are lucky. I had an illusion (delusion?) of getting my wife into shooting sports, when we were dating or first married. She actually gave it a try, mostly shooting trap, but she hated it. She also asked me to turn off the audio version of that book, the one time I tried playing it for her on a road trip, right in the middle of his musing about "November"!

“For there is no nonsense when it comes to a stack of firewood. It does not lose value in the stock market. It does not rust. It does not file for divorce. “

The Book About Firewood – A Bestseller​

Reactions: woodgeek
You guys are lucky. I had an illusion (delusion?) of getting my wife into shooting sports, when we were dating or first married. She actually gave it a try, mostly shooting trap, but she hated it. She also asked me to turn off the audio version of that book, the one time I tried playing it for her on a road trip, right in the middle of his musing about "November"!
My partner doesn't shoot as much as she used to, but went to the range with me last time and enjoyed it. I might get her to shoot with me twice a year now, but before we met she used to shoot more.

We are a shooting family. All 5 kids are really good shots. The sons enjoy hunting more than the daughters (they get too cold and wrap it up early! LOL). I hunted in our first few years of marriage but got out of the loop as more kids were added.
We butcher our own deer so I get to help with that. This year we were blessed with 7 (a few we harvested and a few from friends that love to hunt but their wives don't like the smell of it cooking...their loss is our gain!) ...we put some in our freezers and gave some to the 'chicks that have already flown the coop'.

Reactions: NickW
I have met so many capable women in my life that I can't think of any book that would be totally exclusive to one gender. The "understand" part is demeaning.
Not demeaning, begreen. My wife may even be smarter than you! She's just not into books about hunting or fishing.

Reactions: Z33
She may not be interested, but I'll bet she would understand it if she were.

Of course, I wasn't implying otherwise. Chillax, man.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

If anyone is really bothered by the title of the thread, which I thought was obviously enough made in jest, please just change it to something more PC.

I’m glad my wife isn’t as sensitive as some of the folks here, but it’s easier to know when one is kidding face to face, than through an Internet forum! 😀

Perhaps 'wouldn't understand YOU wanting to listen to it' ?

Reactions: Ashful
When my mom and dad were together, she would go out fishing and deer hunting just the same as him. She was a good shot, no nonsense, knew where to aim and put ‘em down, to put meat in the freezer. I’m a guy but same when I used to go. Only thing we didn’t “get” was how my dad and his buddies would get buck fever and barely be able to hold the gun straight.

• Haha
Not sure why this got everyone's progressive panties in a twist.

Seemed pretty mundane and I appreciate the suggestion. I'll see if I can find it.

Merry Christmas!

Perhaps 'wouldn't understand YOU wanting to listen to it' ?
Sure, that would be fine, if it fits within the character limit. Honestly, I think anyone taking offense with the original thread title is just out looking for an excuse to get offended. But we have to allow for that, I guess.

Don’t sweat the small stuff, folks. Your enemy is not someone posting a harmless book recommendation to an Internet forum.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or my best wishes toward whatever holiday you’re celebrating with your families, this week!

Last edited:
Reactions: woodgeek and Z33