The home heating gods smiled on me today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I have been struggling and worrying about being able to enjoy a fire this year. the lumber mill where I get my slab wood has been hit hard by the economic slowdown. The mines aren't operating, so they don't need wood to shore anything up. It took me from May of this year until a few weeks ago to get my three loads of wood. The last load is still sopping wet.

Anyway, today they called with another load and I though at least it will be dry by next year. Then a dump truck load of the prettiest wood I have ever seen showed up. All of it 2x6 18 inches long and bone dry. I asked the driver and he said so many people are going to freeze this year, the owner started cutting up 2x6 to sell as firewood. They don't kiln dry anything there, but this stuff has been in a warehouse for year.

I'm going to run a gift basket out to them next week.

Of course this complicates burning now. Do I burn north south, east west, or up and down?

Good score, perfect size for the Summit. Burn it whichever way you want to. Careful with the over fire on that stuff. I have some 2 x 6 slab ends that can really get going.

However you decide to orient the wood - your gonna probably want to stack the load tightly. 2x6 has much more surface to mass ration than typical cord wood splits. Its gonna try and go inferno on you. I would start with far less than a stove load and learn to control the burn before you start loading it up with that stuff. Just one dudes opinion.

That mill dude sounds like an alright guy in my book.

This right here is one of the BEST posts I've read in a while.

Great stuff.

I say burn it any way ya want, heat that place.

Jags said:
However you decide to orient the wood - your gonna probably want to stack the load tightly. 2x6 has much more surface to mass ration than typical cord wood splits. Its gonna try and go inferno on you. I would start with far less than a stove load and learn to control the burn before you start loading it up with that stuff. Just one dudes opinion.

That mill dude sounds like an alright guy in my book.

I've burned slab wood since I got the stove. Arrangement has everything to do with how fast it burns. I burnt my first load and actually had to put a glove on and move the wood around to get enough air gaps for it to light off. You can stack a few pieces like kindling or you can stack 5 pieces and get a 8 x6 block. I packed it full and it's cruising at 550 right now, topped out at 650.

Status
Not open for further replies.