The humble begins of my wood pile

LYHTSPD Posted By LYHTSPD, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM

1. basod

basod
    Minister of Fire

Sep 11, 2009
    Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    My coworker bought a bunch of chains from the same guy for his husky.
    I doubt the saw will last for 20chains but you can always sell them at $5 a pop if it ever gives up the ghost.
    I keep 5 chains sharp for my 20" bar and 2 for the 28". That way when a scrounge comes up or I knick one it doesn't cut into the woodcutting time.
    Just sharpen all of the used ones at once in my bench vise with the viking guide on a rainy day.

2. amateur cutter

amateur cutter
    Minister of Fire

Aug 20, 2010
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    No it really isn't. 12 chains may outlast the saw, but they probably won't outlast you. I carry 3-4 spare chains for each saw in the truck, that way as Basod said, just switch em out & keep cutting. You'll be surprised at what will damage a chain when cutting on a regular basis. When you're ready for a new saw, post over in the gear thread. We'll give you so much info you'll want to go back to natural gas heat & forget you ever visited this place.;hm
    Nice start on the wood piles by the way. A C

3. LYHTSPD

LYHTSPD

Apr 7, 2011
    Loc:
    SW Indiana
    I just wanted to drop an update. I did end up buying those 12 chains for my saw. I just need to find a good way to sharpen them while they are off the saw. I have a file I use to sharpen the one on the bar, but this will be a bit tricky. Has anyone used the chain sharpener that Harbor Freight sells? It doesn't seem to get too bad of reviews. This one here.

I also purchased the two mauls I had in my earlier post. Actually, the 8lb maul I bought was a True Temper with a hickory handle. I just liked the idea of buying a maul made in the USA. The 8lb is great, but the 4.5lb maul is a blessing for the smaller stuff. I started to split the pile I posted last night. Man, I had forgotten what a workout splitting wood could be. I guess 25+ years of not doing it will fade the memories a bit. I worked on it for a couple of hours last night. I did not get a whole lot done, since I was just getting back into the swing of things. ;) I was surprised at how much split wood I am getting though. I should have a nice start to next years pile. I have seen several different "methods" for swinging a maul on youtube and the like. Which technique does everyone here favor? Either way I go, I know that my 5 and 2 year old boys will love watching me split. I got a hardy round of cheers and hollars for every round I split. Made me feel pretty good actually!

4. basod

basod
    Minister of Fire

Sep 11, 2009
    Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Sharpening a chain with any electirc grinder will shorten the lifespan of the chain - I'd assume they take more material than necessary.
    Search the gear forum there are reviews for this thing over there

Look into a granberg or similar manual one. You have to have the chain on the bar but they take the guess work out of hand filing.

The Viking one I have is old, but got it for $10 from my coworker who has an ebay addiction and bids on multiple things he wants thinking he'll be outbid, most times ends up with 2 of the same thing = good deals for me

5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I have one similar to that from Northern Tool . . . I've used it a few times since for some reason filing by hand and using the Granberg never worked out very well for me . . . once dialed in I can honestly say it has made a big difference in how sharp my chains are . . . but again . . . it was not this one . . . just one similar to it.