The insert has paid for itself already!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2008
I've only used 22 gallons of oil this year (heating purposes only) compared to 300 gallons at this time last year. Heating oil is about $2.65/gallon (I order from NJ).....thats $795 saved so far this year. I bought the insert for $600.

BucksCoBernie said:
I've only used 22 gallons of oil this year (heating purposes only) compared to 300 gallons at this time last year. Heating oil is about $2.65/gallon (I order from NJ).....thats $795 saved so far this year. I bought the insert for $600.

wow good job.
what type of insert, how much square footage are you heating?

my ZC insert cost me 3200$ minus the 30% govt kickback, so just over 2600$ is my out of pocket expense.
i am hapy to say mine will pay for it self by 2012, i did conservative estimates and said it owuld only half my gas bill, but in reality i heat 100% with wood other than the coldest of days when the mercury is below 10 ferenheit.
even at 10F outside i can keep it at 63F-65 inside but my wide wants it atleast 67 where we are sitting.

Mine will have paid for itself by the end of this heating season. In just 2 years. That includes, insert and ss liner, all misc. parts AND the new Stihl 290!!! I am very happy!

What were you on before if I may ask? Electric? All oil?

we were on oil, forced hot air. Never less than 1200 gallons a heating season.

Ughghg. We've got oil boilers for radiators, which I understand is a lot better than oil+forced air. I feel your pain.

Thankfully we have a woodlot so when we get the stove project off the ground the fuel will be cheapened by the fact there's a ton of it for free in the back yard.

2 more tanks of oil at the current price my liner will be paid for as well....i paid $900 for the liner and block off plate. self installed.

I also just added 35 bags of cellulose insulation (R-30) in the attic...what a difference. The furnace does not kick on at 3am anymore....When I wake up the room with the insert is 65*....thermostat is set at 62*.

We are in the same basic position. We own 12 acres of woodlot and have permission to clean up dead/down trees on all the neighboring properties. I cant even keep up with the clean up. I dont bust butt, but tinker on it year round. In just 3 years of cutting, I am 1 1/2 years ahead of C/S/S. (5 cords/yr)
I used to keep the thermo at 66 in the winter, which neither the wife or kids were too happy about, now, its at 70 and for the most part the furnace only runs when its in the single digits outside or below. We still use about 75 gallons of oil a year, but I can deal with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.