The last car under $20,000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
In just 3 years the average price of the American car has gone up 25%! It's now $48,000. No wonder car sales are in a slump and people are holding onto their cars longer. With the average family income of just $70k who can afford a new car as car makers continue to push bigger SUVs? One thing for certain, the average wage has not gone up 25% in this same time period. It's actually gone down around $2k.

Reactions: Ashful
In just 3 years the average price of the American car has gone up 25%! It's now $48,000. No wonder car sales are in a slump and people are holding onto their cars longer. With the average family income of just $70k who can afford a new car as car makers continue to push bigger SUVs? One thing for certain, the average wage has not gone up 25% in this same time period. It's actually gone down around $2k.

Not sure where you are getting the -$2k figure. Wage numbers are not the same as average or median income.

The Fed says total personal income is up about ~15% in nominal $$ from Sep 2020 to present. Similar to inflation. You could knock a few percent off for population growth, maybe.

Most hourly workers were buying used cars before, and are still buying used cars. The used cars they are getting now are safer and higher mpg than the ones they were getting 3 or 5 or 10 years ago, on average.

Not sure where you are getting the -$2k figure. Wage numbers are not the same as average or median income.
Lost the link, but I think it was the US Census bureau for median household income. It was around $72K in 2019.

Found it
Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.43.07 AM.png

The used cars they are getting now are safer and higher mpg than the ones they were getting 3 or 5 or 10 years ago, on average.
What changes have been made in the past 3-5 yrs. that have made an important safety improvement on all US sold cars, not just luxury models?

Did you read the article? The fact that a new car has become a luxury that few working class families can afford is not a good thing. The pandemic suddenly boosted used car prices too. The average price of a used car is now $29,000 according to the AP article. The car might have been safer when new, but as a used car it will have more wear and tear and who knows what deferred maintenance. If you are a senior on a fixed income this presents a serious dilemma.

Last edited:

The Fed says total personal income is up about ~15% in nominal $$ from Sep 2020 to present. Similar to inflation. You could knock a few percent off for population growth, maybe.

Most hourly workers were buying used cars before, and are still buying used cars. The used cars they are getting now are safer and higher mpg than the ones they were getting 3 or 5 or 10 years ago, on average.
Yes but decent used cars have gone up in price a higher percentage than new ones have

Lost the link, but I think it was the US Census bureau for median household income. It was around $72K in 2019.

Found it
View attachment 314634

Ah, your census numbers are real, not nominal, and don't include 22 or half of 23. Mine are nominal, and total population. So, we can split the difference and say nominal income went up 10-12% during the last few years, similar to inflation. (Ofc, all the boomers moving into retirement are losing income... working folks could be going up to compensate.)

Your 25% increase is a nominal figure too.

So, yeah, new car prices went up 13-15% = 25-(10-12) more than incomes in three years. But not 27% = (25 - (-2)).

I don't see any reason for that other than profit taking by manufacturers in a low margin business during a high inflation period. I am sure everyone is pointing the finger at someone else.... supply chains. Russia. Oil. Whatever.

In reality, the car makers are trying to remake their business in a very expensive way (EV's) at a time when ICE volume is down and falling (since 2017). So its not surprising they are jacking prices, and shifting to more luxury models. Its capitalism.

What changes have been made in the past 3-5 yrs. that have made an important safety improvement on all US sold cars, not just luxury models?

Did you read the article? The fact that a new car has become a luxury that few working class families can afford is not a good thing. The pandemic suddenly boosted used car prices too. The average price of a used car is now $29,000 according to the AP article. The car might have been safer when new, but as a used car it will have more wear and tear and who knows what deferred maintenance. If you are a senior on a fixed income this presents a serious dilemma.

The poorest folks that are struggling to cover car costs are not buying 3 yo used cars. They are buying 7-10 yo used cars. And there were lots of improvements to safety 2013-2016, better collision testing, backup cameras, etc. And the Obama CAFE regs had started to roll through by then.

But, as @bholler points out, used car prices are up even more.... but, I hear, are falling now.

Last edited:
Ah, your census numbers are real, not nominal, and don't include 22 or half of 23. Mine are nominal, and total population. So, we can split the difference and say nominal income went up 10-12% during the last few years, similar to inflation. (Ofc, all the boomers moving into retirement are losing income... working folks could be going up to compensate.)

Your 25% increase is a nominal figure too.

So, yeah, new car prices went up 13-15% = 25-(10-12) more than incomes in three years. But not 27% = (25 - (-2)).

I don't see any reason for that other than profit taking by manufacturers in a low margin business during a high inflation period. I am sure everyone is pointing the finger at someone else.... supply chains. Russia. Oil. Whatever.

In reality, the car makers are trying to remake their business in a very expensive way (EV's) at a time when ICE volume is down and falling (since 2017). So its not surprising they are jacking prices, and shifting to more luxury models. Its capitalism.

The poorest folks that are struggling to cover car costs are not buying 3 yo used cars. They are buying 7-10 yo used cars. And there were lots of improvements to safety 2013-2016, better collision testing, backup cameras, etc. And the Obama CAFE regs had started to roll through by then.

But, as @bholler points out, used car prices are up even more.... but, I hear, are falling now.
Yeah they are starting to come down a bit. But still are pretty ridiculous even for 10 year old cars with 100000 miles

We were discussing our work vehicles and decided to keep them longer. I have over 130k on my '19 Ram and don't mind putting another hundred on it. We paid 20 something for it with 22k miles on it. I dont want to replace it with a $50-60k truck. I can stomach the cost of a transmission for the savings. Other than brakes and tires its been pretty worry free.

Don’t forget the chip shortage is about over. All the chips went to the highest margin most expensive vehicles. Dodge lot is a full as I have seen it in over two years. I’m not surprised to see that. There will be some trickle down (used cars that is) but inventories are sitting all north of 65 days for the big three and the UAW contract negotiations don’t seem a sure thing. Sooo, they will keep prices high building more inventories of high margin products to weather a possible strike.